Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: UT Kitfox Down

Default UT Kitfox Down

http://etv10news.com/small-plane-cra...photo-gallery/

There was a Kitfox crash on Mexican Mountain in Utah over the weekend.

Does anyone know if this is a member here or if the reports of everyone okay are accurate?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: UT Kitfox Down

I think they are from Park City, UT if I understand correctly. That's not far from me but I don't know them and have never seen the plane before. I've been to Mexican Mountain several times and it's really not that hard but can be intimidating if you're not on your game. There are willows on the east approach and it appears they got too low/slow and stalled into those willows.

The big problem they face now is Mexican Mountian is located in a wilderness area so to get the plane out they will have to hire a helicopter for a lift recovery, take it apart and haul it out on horseback, carry it out in pieces on their backs or take the pieces out in another airplane.

Mexican Mountain video:
    Mexican Mountain Camping Trip
    Last edited by SkySteve; 09-14-2015 at 07:28 PM.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Timothy Glenn is the owner. Glad to see they were both ok.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I just read on a backcountry pilot forum that a pilot flew over Mexican Mountain (from Cedar Mountain for those of you that know that country), saw the crashed plane, called them on the radio to check their condition, then called rescue for them. They have been rescued and seem to be ok except for back pain. They did not have a PLB with them. If you don't have a PLB, get one and use it. It could save your life!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Amen to that, Steve!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

This brings up memories in a couple of ways. Tim was a friend that resulted from the old Cameron Park Kitfox Fly-in and BBQ we held annually in the 2000s. He moved from our area and we lost contact over the years.

glenn.jpg

The second way the memories chime in is when we "Parked" our airplane on the way to the factory fly-in in 2007 resulting in its destruction and week stays in the hospital for both of us. It remains interesting to read the online comments of those who in the wisdom of the typical pilot thought they could have done better, but in reality knew very little about our particular situation and my decision to attempt an emergency landing in a very limited clearing in our neighboring Sierra Foothills. For us it was 100 yards from a road and two miles from a CalFire station so response time was quick and recovery simple. So far the comments have been factual and with helpful advice to the rest of us. For Tim's sake, I am thankful for that.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel