Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy Kitfox. What questions to ask?

Default Looking to buy Kitfox. What questions to ask?

Hi guys.

I'm ready to bite the bullet and start actively looking to purchase a plane. My budget is around $25k which seems to be a pretty good match for a Model IV 1200 with a 912. I'd love to get a model 5 or higher but I think they would be out of my budget and I'd like to keep the cost low because I plan on self insuring before I get some time accumulated.

So when looking at a plane what questions are key questions to ask the seller? What should I look out for?

I am a very mechanically oriented person and would have no problem looking at cars or boats but these are completely new to me. I'm going to use it to learn on with the end goal of eventually putting it on floats. I've got time accumulated in a 172 but have decided that the ELSA route is most attractive to me right now. I have flown a couple model IV KF and really think they are a good match for me.

Default Re: Looking to buy Kitfox. What questions to ask?

If you want to hit that price point you'll have to be prepared to move quickly and you'll likely be looking at either a high time engine or a hangar queen. The best way to check one out is to see if there's an experienced Kitfoxer to accompany you when you go to look. I know I would volunteer to do that if someone was looking in my backyard.

This is only a partial list, but I'd want to go through the documentation. Examine the airworthiness certificate, operating limitations, registration and weight and balance info. See that it's had regular maintenance with good detail in the logs. It's better if there's an annual condition inspection checklist to go along with the FAA mandated logbook entry. Lookup the FAA registration information if it's a US based plane and make sure it's current and makes sense for who's selling: http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...m_inquiry.aspx

Basics to know for a Model IV are serial number and completion date, speed wing vs. long wing, Grove spring gear vs bungee. If you have the Engine serial number you can find the age and whether there are any service bulletins that should have been taken care of. Prop model and condition to be considered.

If you're going to put it on floats, empty weight is everything. Take a good look at that weight and balance.

Panel equipment, condition and electrical system wiring can be telling on how well constructed it is.

Have the seller remove the nose and upper cowlings so you can get a good look at the engine installation and firewall forward. It would also be beneficial if they would pull the seat so you can thoroughly examine the flaperon mixer and all control linkages. Also the condition of the fuselage tubing.

Examine the seat truss and longerons above the gear attachment points for bent tubes.

Enough for one post. Others will undoubtedly chime in.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I just saw a Kitfox 4 on Barnstormers today. It has a 912 and is a tricycle gear. They can be converted to taildragger fairly easy though. His asking price is $25,500. Not at all high for a 912 powered Kitfox 4. Oh, by the way, it's close to you also. Jim Chuk

KITFOX IV - 1200 TRI-GEAR • $25,500 • PRICED TO SELLRotax 912 UL 80 HP. 105 Hours TT. IVO Ground Adjust Prop. BRS Ballistic Chute. Garmin GPS Pilot lll. ICOM IC-A5 Radio. David Clark Voice Activated ISO-COM. Electric Fuel Boost Pump. Electric Trim. Dual Brakes. Some Damage Repaired when added Kitfox Nose Wheel Kit and Grove Spring Gear Mains. Added 5 inches Shoulder Width utilizing Merle Williams Wide Body Mod. Light-Sport Category. Vx-55. Vy-65. Vo-35. Vs Flaps-28 mph. Based at Windsock Villiage NH69. • Contact Barry E. Huston, Owner - located Center Ossipee, NH USA • Telephone: 603-630-0101 . 603-539-5569 • Posted September 12, 2015 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

You mentioned E-LSA. This is a bit vague. Are you looking for an experimental amature built that complies with the LSA rules, or are you looking for an E-LSA registered plane?

These are two different things.

EAB, LSA compliant is how 99.9% of the Kitfox IVs on the market are registered. This means you (as the non builder owner) can do all maintenance or modifications, but would need to hire an A&P to do the annual condition inspection.

The E-LSA plane would be one registered during the onset of the LSA rules, during the loophole window before 1-31-2008, which allows you (the non builder owner) to take the 16 hour repairmans class and get the repairmans license for that plane, which grants you authority to do all repair and inspections.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

It does have a current registration, the registration says it is co owned. Verify sale with both owners
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I wonder why the FAA record has no airworthiness information filled in. I hope it does have the magic pink slip.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I would call and talk with the FAA about that.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Lacking date and category information in those fields means it has not been through an A/W inspection. Those facts plus the float accident which left it on the bottom of a lake may explain why the price has dropped from $35K originally to $25 now, and it still doesn't sell.

how do you know about the lake incident? have you talked to the seller? I only saw the damage from changing to tri gear. I would think if it sank it would need to be COMPLETELY refurbished. I am asking because I will be in the OPs situation at somepoint and would like to know these things as well.

if the damage is true, then someone should let Barnstormers know about this "oversight" in the ad that could get someone hurt.

I don't get it - the aborted take off and crash into a swamp is in the public domain. Does the seller not know that? An extreme case of buyer beware
    Last edited by TahoeTim; 09-13-2015 at 02:31 PM.