Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Sight Glass Placard for 6.5 gallon tank (undercamber wing)

Default Sight Glass Placard for 6.5 gallon tank (undercamber wing)

By chance do any of you have a PDF (or a link) to a PDF from which I can make a scale for my Kitfox Model III wing tank sight glass?

I remember seeing a European site with one, but for some reason cannot locate it anymore.

Looking too make a fuel indicating plate to place behind the tube.

Default Re: Sight Glass Placard for 6.5 gallon tank (undercamber wing)

Tim,
    I was a bit curious about the accuracy of the factory sightguage placards so made my own on my both IVs. This was triggered by a friend who often flew with his wife. She would sit in the cockpit during fueling and shout when she saw the fuel touch the top of the sight gauge. I filled the tank two or three gallons at a time and made marks on a piece of cardboard that were then transferred to something a bit nicer. I found that when the last bubble disappeared on the top of the sight glass, I had boarded 9 gallons. Definitely not the full capacity at 13 gallons. As I recall, I also found that by the first hint of fuel at the bottom of the sight gauge, I had boarded about 3 gallons - in Florida right now and can't double check the 3 gall figures. Another interesting thing, I found that the same amount of fuel in the mid ranges - say 6 gallons - would put the location of the meniscus in the sight gauge significantly different in three point attitude on the ground vs. in flight attitude. I always felt a bit better while preflighting for those short "Therapy" flights knowing with some precision what fuel I actually had on board. My sight gauges actually had two scales, one for preflight and one for cruise attitudes.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel