Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Engine Instruments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Engine Instruments

I have a 2003 Series 7, with the Westec Quad gauge. I'm having the same issue with needles jumping all over the place. I'm not the builder and limited experience with electronics. Considering replacing the Westec with the MGL E1EMS. I see rv9ralf. has done the conversion. Would he or anyone else like to comment on this? Like how difficult or easy this was to do.
    Thanks John

G`morning guys
    I am not sure if it will last, but I have recently done my annual and part of it was to check and double check ALL grounds and connections. I took apart connectors to oil temp sender,cleaned contacts,etc.
    Now ALL the gauges in the quad are steady and seemingly accurate!
    I guess I am old school and have never been exposed to "glass" yet, but now that my round things are seemingly working well, I am staying the course.
    I am sure if I was building new, glass is the way to go though.
    Don

I'm using the MGL E1 on my 582. It's solid and accurate as far as I can tell. It's much better than the Westach Quad I started with. I like that I can set alarm points on each measurement. You wouldn't go wrong with one as long as you're looking for a good basic instrument.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I replaced both the Westech Quad gauges in KF3 when the needle for the coolant temp fell to the bottom of the window. I installed MGL E-1 for CHT, EGT, Oil Pressure, Volts, it also includes Tach, and Hobbs, additional features I have not yet used are maintenance timers with alerts and flight timer. I also installed a TP-2 for Oil Temp and Coolant Temp.

The install was easy, match wires to sensors. Instructions very good and easy to follow. It is nice to see the Bar Display with Low and High limits set and a BRL (big red light) to tell me when things are not within limits.

The only issue to speak of was that I had to replace my Oil Pressure sender. The Westech sender was a 4 wire sender and I could not decode which wire when to what. MGL sells a sender.
    Ralph

Hi Guys
    Thanks for the quick response, and the good information. I went to the hanger yesterday to check all the grounds and wire connections. It was raining so didn't get a chance to test fly. Looks like the MGL is doing a good job for you guys. I'll probably install one in the near future. I like a instrument I can depend on.
    Thanks John

Just finished up the install of MGL E1 and The TP2. I put the Hobbs, Volts, RPMS, EGT, and coolant temp. on the E1.The oil pressure and temp on the TP2. Ended up replacing oil temp and coolant sensors with new Westeck I didn't have to I just wanted everything new. Oil pressure sender VDO 150lbs 10 Bar one wire. I'm seeing much cooler temps with this setup versus the Westeck Quad. I like it so much I bought the ALT-3 and ASI-3 haven' installed yet. The ALT comes with a OAT probe to be mounted, anybody have any suggestion on where and how to mount .
    Thanks John

I believe the OAT probe can go anywhere it is NOT in direct sunlight or in the warm exhaust stream. You want ambient air in the shade. Lots of choices. I put mine on the belly on the opposite side of the exhaust stack.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS