Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 912 ULS fuel return line

Default Re: 912 ULS fuel return line

I have aluminum lines going from header tank to firewall forward. all other lines firewall back is the blue bing hose.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I am a big fan of aeroquip hose.
    For the fuel lines firewall forward I have been using Aeroquip FC332 and will continue firewall forward with it.
    I think I just answered my own question for the return line aft of the firewall!
    It is good to know what others are using .
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

yes, I like that hose also. I prefer that over firesleeve hose. reason, I don't like having a cover over the hose. the hose inside can delaminate and not know it.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I am getting to the point of doing the fuel system. I feel like a I am chasing my tail on this and the internet is not making it any easier. I am planning on running the return line back to the header tank. I can't figure out this restrictor/orfice issue. I see the distribution blocks that people have posted, but I am not seeing how the restrictor thing is working. Has anyone made something or knows what is need to get this done?

I filled a fitting with solder, and drilled a hole through it of the size Rotax requires. Can't remember if it's .035 or .040" off hand. Maybe neither. Do what Rotax says I would suggest. My return line going back to the header is soft 3/16" aluminum tubing. And ran alongside the 5/16 aluminum tube for fuel line. JImChuk

Oh, that's a good idea. I bought a set of tiny drill bits, I think .35 mm is in it. Solder would a lot easier to drill. I am assuming you just soldered like the inside of a threaded barbed fitting and then hooked the return up to it?

Seems like someone would come up with an off the shelf easy fix.

Yep, that's what I did. Inside a barbed fitting. Drilled 3 holes partway into the sides so the solder would go into them and be for sure to be locked in place. I think I peened the solder before I drilled it as well in case it shrunk at all when it cooled off. The are brass restrictor fittings made to go in an oil line that goes to a sender so if the sender burst, the oil would come out slow also. I have one on my Jabiru oil pressure sender. That was the only one I had though, and they may be to big of an opening. JImChuk

Jerry,

How old is your engine? They have been coming with the orifice built-in to the top banjo fitting of the block that distributes fuel to both carburetors and that's clamped to the middle of the balance tube for a few years now. You don't need anything bigger than a 1/4" line. I have notes indicating the orifice should be .014" (approximately a #79 drill). If the orifice is too large you may run the risk of insufficient fuel pressure to the carburetors.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Hey John, that's good info that is never even mentioned on the internet that I was able to find. The engine is being delivered today and is brand new. (912 ULS) I was just trying to get everything lined up beforehand since I am running the fuel lines now. I am plumbing in a Facet pump and trying to get everything I need so I don't hit a wall and waste time. I guess I'll wait, and take a look to see if it does have the distribution block. Hopefully so, but if not, I'll be incorporating Jim's remedy.

Thanks