Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: High Altitude operations (912uls)

Default High Altitude operations (912uls)

Hey guys,

I'm looking seriously at a series 7 tricycle gear fox with a 100hp 912uls. I live in Colorado (east of the springs). I have my own backyard strip thats approx. 2000 ft although the usable is quite a bit less because there are obstructions at both ends (power lines, tall gate etc.)

Currently I fly a couple Flight Design CT's and I had some time in a Zenith CH750 with an 0-200 that I seriously doubt made 100hp even at sea level. I landed the 750 on my strip 5 times. But even with it's STOL performance I don't think it would fly out of my place on a warm day with a passenger. The DA here reaches above 10k often.

The flight design ctsw (older model, lighter) performs pretty well. I flew it into Leadville (9900ft) and got out with a passenger without anything exciting happening. But the plane is about 730lbs empty.

I guess I'm just looking to see what others have experienced at high elevation in a kitfox with a 912?!!?! any approx. ground roll numbers?

I need to be able to get out of here at gross weight- if that means leaving in the morning or when it's cool out thats fine, but if it won't do it, it may not be the right config.

Thanks for any info!

Default Re: High Altitude operations (912uls)

I don't fly a 912s so I can't give you any performance data for high DA conditions, but if you equip one with a CS prop such as an Airmaster you will greatly improve the take off performance. Hopefully someone will chime in with some actual real life data.

I use the 914 with CS and effectively don't worry about DA issues. Getting in and out of high mountain strips in Idaho on hot days is very doable.

I've had my UL (80 hp) to 11.5k still showing 500 fpm climb...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thumbs up Re: High Altitude operations (912uls)

Bought my Kitfox IV Speedster a month or so ago in CaƱon City, near you. Has a 912 100 hp. Flew at max gross out of 1V6 Fremont County on 9500' density altitude days, with completely reassuring performance. I'm 230 lbs and let's just say that my CFI was no less. Tight fit in the cockpit but was not a struggle to get airborne. Then, flying full fuel but only me aboard, testing performance prior to the flight home to Washington state, I climbed to 13,500 and still had more to go. No VSI in panel, but again, was not struggling for climb. Would say with complete confidence that you should be able to use your Kitfox on your strip with room to spare.

thank you for the info guys