Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Charging system

Default Charging system

A couple of questions on the charging circuit. In the rotax install manual they show a 25 amp fuse or breaker, Kitfox shows a 30 . I have a Sport SX EFIS which uses an amp ring and picks up voltage from the feed wire so I believe I do not need a shunt. My questions are
    Which amp breaker should be used?
    I see different current ratings on the breakers at A/Spruce some at 5 amps and some at 25 amps so should the higher rated breakers be used?
    Why does the diagram on page 65 show two 14 gauge leads between the fuse and the shunt?
    So my plan is to run the breaker from the main buse and on the feed side wires to C, B plus, R and the positive side of the capacitor if I am understanding the diagram.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Marv
    Building 7 SS

Default Re: Charging system

Hi Mark,
    Trust in Kitfox and use the 30 Amp breaker. I'm sure this choice comes from experience - probably to avoid nuisance breaker trips.

The doubled up 14 ga wire could have been done with a larger gauge wire. I imagine this was done to avoid having too many types of wire on the bill of material. It should work fine as drawn.

Since you don't have the shunt you'll just need to plan your wiring carefully so you've got space to terminate everything. I used the capacitor terminal as a distribution point since it's difficult to land more than two conductors at the breaker terminal. Try to keep the wire runs fairly short.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

I used a 25 amp breaker and have had no trips for 250 hours now.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Just remember, the fuses and circuit breakers are sized to protect the wiring, not the devises attached to them
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Hopefully the wire is sized to be more than adequate for the device, then the breaker can be sized to protect the device.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS