Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: tail skid Series V Vixen

Default tail skid Series V Vixen

The supplied tail skid protrudes from the bottom of the vertical stab, or rather, bottoms out in the tube so that it protrudes about 1/4". The forward end where the bolt goes is also about 1/4" too low. It seems that the welded-in stop inside the vertical stab was placed too low and does not allow the tail skid post to enter far enough. Considering shortening the tail skid post, but it has a welded on end cap that would be chopped off, leaving an open tube. I could just leave it as is and mount the forward bolt with a spacer, but it seems like there should be a better way to make this fit right. Ideas?

Default Re: tail skid Series V Vixen

FoxBob,

Trying to visualize this....do you have a photo you could share with the list showing the tailskid next to the tail?

I'd be reluctant to cut into the vert stab structure.....wondering if it is possible to tweak the tube of the tailskid which goes towards the front to make the hole match up?

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN

Sorry; I'm technologically challenged; don't know how to get a photo to you. The tail skid has a vertical post that fits up into the back tube of the vertical stabilizer. The problem it that the stop that is welded into the vertical stabilizer tube appears to be about 1/4" too low, so that when the tail skid post slides up into the tube, it stops with 1/4" sticking out. The front end of the tail skid has a tab that bolts into a threaded tube and it too is about 1/4" too low. I suppose that I could just shim it and have it be where it is, but it might not be as strong. Hope the description helps, and thanks for addressing my problem.

Why not just shorten the post a quarter inch or so, fill the open tube with a dab of plastic metal and bolt up the skid.
    in over 500 hours on my Vixen the only use this skid gets is a tie down for over night parking.
    good luck
    Don

FoxBob,

Apparently your tailskid is a bit different than on our S7 which has a flat plate and two bolts for the rear attach point.

I'd second KF2009's comment about what the tailskid is used for......I have never been able to contact the ground with it when landing....The plane does sit on it when the wings are folded and the most use our tailskid gets is as a tie down ring.

I don't think you you'd have any problems with modifications to make it fit.

Daev S

Thanks to all who replied. I will take your advice and shorten the post and fill the end with plastic steel (epoxy). I never thought about using it for a tie-down or about how the weight would shift when the wings are folded; thought that the tail skid was just for over-exuberant flares!