Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Console Side Panel

Default Console Side Panel

I have read and re-read the manual and it does not state to put the flange of the side panel under the floor board. Is there something in the upholstery kit that makes not putting it under the floor board ok? I've already drilled the panel to the center face but I can always cover that up if needed. I would also need to re-trim the floor boards to make it work. Hopefully, somebody tells me that the upholstery kit makes this ok.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Console Side Panel

The carpet floor will cover the flange.

At the risk of resurrecting an old thread...

I had the same question but mine is triggered by how much I will need to trim off the top edge to make it flush with the console top.

I think that you need the floor panels, as well as the top in position in order to accurately trim those side panels, if necessary, Steve.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I “assumed” as much. But, some of the things I find myself having to trim boggle me though, thinking that Kitfox does this as a production aircraft, do they really spend this much time trimming all of these pieces? I mean I understand we have to “fabricate” some, but it always make me second guess if I’m looking at a problem the right way...

Now mind you, mine is a Series 5 and back then we put the flange of the side console under the plywood floor, as not evreybody including me , used carpet on the floor. I made thin aluminum foot panels over the plywood for plywood protection, thus that flange wood show so under the floor it went. Bruce N199CL

FYI, my Series 5 manual (1998) has a note that the flanges on the side panels go under the floor panels as airlina has stated and match drilled to the tabs.

Rick

I think flanges on top is a better idea if you plan to add upholstery. I imagine most everyone has something they may want to inspect or service in the center console (fuel lines, wiring, rudder pulleys, etc). It's convenient to remove a side panel to do this. With the factory upholstery kit, if you put the flange under a floorboard, I would think you'd have to at least loosen the seat so that you could pull out the floormat, so you could remove the floorboard before you could remove the side panel.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    I think flanges on top is a better idea if you plan to add upholstery. I imagine most everyone has something they may want to inspect or service in the center console (fuel lines, wiring, rudder pulleys, etc). It's convenient to remove a side panel to do this. With the factory upholstery kit, if you put the flange under a floorboard, I would think you'd have to at least loosen the seat so that you could pull out the floormat, so you could remove the floorboard before you could remove the side panel.
    I agree with you, Brian. That's how I did it.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Makes sense. That’s why I love these forums! There is no way you would have that hindsight before installation outside of waiting for a buddy or builder to come by and take a look-see...