Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Making my series 5 into my dream plane

Default Re: Making my series 5 into my dream plane

Great description of what you're up to Trent. Looks like you have an excellent performer there. Well thought out and well done.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Fantastic info Trent! I am very impressed.

And as well as that wing works to improve STOL performance, what I'm reading and seeing of your results, that STI wing looks like it would make one heck of a Kitfox float plane. And while the original Kitfox wing works well for that, the STI results you posted indicate it would provide a significant improvement when on floats. The added lift would help a lot to offset the added weight of the floats, which is like carrying a third person in your Kitfox for those of you that aren't familiar with amphib floats (exchange weight typically is 200 -250 lbs).

Your highly modified Model 5 is becoming one of the poster childs representing the Kitfox brand. And it certainly does a great job. I can see why it is your dream plane

Trent,

This is awesome! This is my favorite thread. I love seeing the purpose driven experimentation and the data behind each change. Look foreward to reading your updates.

I am currently a tri gear looking at converting to tail wheel this winter. I changed the panel and installed a new motor last winter. It's a fun ride learning this aircraft.

Keep it up!

Jared,
    Kitfox 7-Flying
    ABW 26", T3, ABW 3200 Tailwheel
    Rotax 912ULS, Warp Drive Taper

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    Fantastic info Trent! I am very impressed.

And as well as that wing works to improve STOL performance, what I'm reading and seeing of your results, that STI wing looks like it would make one heck of a Kitfox float plane. And while the original Kitfox wing works well for that, the STI results you posted indicate it would provide a significant improvement when on floats. The added lift would help a lot to offset the added weight of the floats, which is like carrying a third person in your Kitfox for those of you that aren't familiar with amphib floats (exchange weight typically is 200 -250 lbs).

Your highly modified Model 5 is becoming one of the poster childs representing the Kitfox brand. And it certainly does a great job. I can see why it is your dream plane
    The STi would be perfect on a float plane, tons of lift and it gets off so much faster which I would imagine would be beneficial on a float plane.

Nice write up Trent. Every time I see your posts I have a feeling in my gut that my traditional wing's days are numbered...I'll fly it for a few years before I do anything drastic...
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Very good Trent. Glad to see some in depth commentary on this wing, sure reads well. Are the flaperons interchangeable between wings or longer flaperon push/pull control tubes necessary?
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Thanks Doug!

The flaperons are interchangeable I believe although we did new ones. It does take different length control tubes going to the flaperons though.

Trent
    Do you have an idea how much heavier the STI wings and new elevator are over stock?
    Good to see the STI wings allow the wings to fold.
    Any idea what the new width is?
    Will the STI wings fit a model 4?
    Thanks for sharing
    Herman

Quote Originally Posted by herman pahls View Post
    Trent
    Do you have an idea how much heavier the STI wings and new elevator are over stock?
    Good to see the STI wings allow the wings to fold.
    Any idea what the new width is?
    Will the STI wings fit a model 4?
    Thanks for sharing
    Herman
    The new wing added 38lbs to my plane.
    I didn't happen to measure the new width I would think it would be 6-8in wider at the tail end when folded.
    In theory the STI wing will fit the model 4 I would think but the question is how moving the flaperon attach points will work. It isn't something anyone has tried yet but I would think it should be possible.

So glad I found this thread. Been following you on IG and YouTube for a while now and was looking for more detail. Definitely taking notes over here, I’m hoping to build a similar setup someday, soon hopefully!