Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rudder trim

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Rudder trim

I don't see any difference but I guess a wedge would look better? I mounted mine on the trailing edge of the surface.
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

You can get a very similar wedge shape from Home Depot in the wood moldings department. You can see that is what I used in post #5 under Brakes. However it wasn't enough, so I sandwiched a bendable aluminum tab under the 6" wedge and now it flies ball centered. Yes it may look like an afterthought, but after all it IS an afterthought. Paint it up nice and pretty soon you don't notice it, and it sure helps on long flights.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Here is JIOtts post with the rudder trim. I usually ride right rudder to keep the ball centered, I’ve been thinking of trying this.

Where do you get the heavy duty automotive double stick foam trim tape? I can not find any. Also it it a piece of molding, as backing to the aluminum piece??

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...ht=rudder+trim
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

not only does these things work on the rudder. they will work on the ailerons. come on, admit it. you have a slight heavy wing. I do. I figure it's the force of the motor cus it is to the left. I'm going to take a small piece of balsa that I have, wedge, and put it under the right aileron. I put one on my rv. I really don't need it, but my trim I do have works dead center if I have it. it's really to offset for the wife not being in the plane. I take it off when she is with me. yes I have it taped on under the right side. easily taken off when she goes with me. so I'm going to take my extra piece and put it on the kitfox.

I should have looked harder at jiott's photo,I was wondering what the additional plate was for!
    I can't wait for the weekend and some good flying weather to try some of these ideas .

"I put one on my RV"

Does that make it go down the highway straight?

P.S. You'd better be careful with the wife's weight comments

depends on what rv you are talking about. I have the 6wheel version as well as the 3 wheel. the 3wheel rv is very sensitive to weight. burning 5 gallons of fuel can cause wing heavy. I try to keep fuel equal. she knows all this and it doesn't bother her on that comment. or the fact that I pull the wedge when we both go flying. she's a good girl