Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Loading and Unloading Kitfox SS7 on a Trailer

Default Re: Loading and Unloading Kitfox SS7 on a Trailer

Ken-

Great looking trailer and mounting system. I have a similar trailer for my as yet unfinished Kitfox 4. What is the length of your trailer, from hitch to wheels ? Do the main gear ramps pivot off the ground automatically when the wheels roll past the pivot point ?

Do you still have this trailer and aircraft ? I may want to come have a look some day if you are in Zephyrhills.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot View Post
    I have recently purchased a nearly complete Kitfox 4 1200, which currently has the wings and horizontal removed. I need to get an enclosed trailer to transport the aircraft and all parts about 1400 miles, so I'm wondering what is the overall width LE to LE with the wings folded ?
    Scot, My distance LE to LE folded is 8 ft 5 in. The issue here is what padding will be used to keep the flaperons from contacting the vertical stabalizer. I use the factory transport kit including the pad. That adds about 6 inches to the folded distance. There are several methods to retain the flaperons which show up in forum trailering threads. Another issue is that my machine is a SS7 and I do not know if the wing cord is the same on your aircraft. Neville

I transported a classic 4 1500 miles with a 24 foot enclosed trailer but had to take it apart as the width was 7 foot 10 inches. The inside of most trailers are 8 feet, but the frame around the door is 2-3 inches and door cable restricts it furtherplane in trailer.jpgThe key to making it without damage is buy a large supply of moving blankets from harbor Freight, and a cradle that supports the wings. place the flaparons in the cradle with wings. There was plenty of length in trailer. you could use a 20 foot also.
    Mark
    Last edited by nosubt2; 03-26-2019 at 08:49 AM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Scot View Post
    Ken-

Great looking trailer and mounting system. I have a similar trailer for my as yet unfinished Kitfox 4. What is the length of your trailer, from hitch to wheels ? Do the main gear ramps pivot off the ground automatically when the wheels roll past the pivot point ?

Do you still have this trailer and aircraft ? I may want to come have a look some day if you are in Zephyrhills.
    Ball hitch to the aircraft's wheel axle is 20'3". Ball hitch to tail wheel axle is 7'. Yes the ramps pivot as the plane rolls past the pivot point. I've been using trailer and plane nearly every weekend since completion over 2 years ago.
    Absolutely all visitors are welcome; I'm in zephyrhills.
    Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind