Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Loading and Unloading Kitfox SS7 on a Trailer

Default Re: Loading and Unloading Kitfox SS7 on a Trailer

That is a really nice trailer and looks very functional and easy to use.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

That is just what I need. Do you have plans for that? I need to have one built if I am to succeed at keeping this plane at home. Is that a 7ft garage door?
    Eddie

I'm in the midst of purchasing a Kitfox IV and expecting to need a trailer. What length boat trailer is needed?

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    That is just what I need. Do you have plans for that?...Eddie
    That is a great looking trailer Neville.
    The one I built is not nearly as "flash" but very useful. Built it from an old Bowler trailer with 14 inch tires and torsion bar suspension. Total cost under $500. Getting the wheel ramps low to the road is very important both for traveling and loading/unloading.
    Lots of pics on kitfox2009 Albums and pics.
    Winter here today and we were supposed to have a practice flypast flight for November 11. Weather permitting we will do it early on the 11th and then again at 1100. Usually a lot of fun as well as showing respect.
    Cheers
    Don

On mine, from the ball hitch to the back of the trailer is 22'.
    Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

The first Kitfox I bought was a project that became one when a wing attachment brace came loose and the wing swung around and hit a sign on the side of the road. That had happened before I bought it. I've always worried about that happening again, so in addition to the wing brackets, I also tie the flaperons together with a short length of rope. I can always look in the rearview mirror and see the rope is still there. Probably wouldn't see if the steel tube came loose till it was to late. JImChuk

great minds think alike. I had read about that wing swinging open and think about it every time i trailer. So i secured the flaperon weights with a piece of velcro that you can see in one of my pics.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    The first Kitfox I bought was a project that became one when a wing attachment brace came loose and the wing swung around and hit a sign on the side of the road. That had happened before I bought it. I've always worried about that happening again, so in addition to the wing brackets, I also tie the flaperons together with a short length of rope. I can always look in the rearview mirror and see the rope is still there. Probably wouldn't see if the steel tube came loose till it was to late. JImChuk

I don't know what has been out there in the past for transport parts; however, the transport kit I purchased from Kitfox uses drilled bolts, drilled pins, castle nuts and "hairpins" to secure the transport braces and lockback braces. We have used this to transport a couple kitfoxes. Very secure and quick to put together and take down.

I do keep extra castle nuts and heavy safety wire in the plane in case of an "oops" with the hairpins in the tall grass.

My wife sewed up a tail pad with foam inserts which the flaperons rest against.

For a belt and suspenders approach - have to agree the rope safety is a good idea.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I have recently purchased a nearly complete Kitfox 4 1200, which currently has the wings and horizontal removed. I need to get an enclosed trailer to transport the aircraft and all parts about 1400 miles, so I'm wondering what is the overall width LE to LE with the wings folded ?

I can only speak on a model 7. It is 8' 1 5/8".
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind