Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torque Values

Default Torque Values

Looking through the manual, there are several torque values ranging from 10 - 15 in/lbs. Finding torque wrenches starting at 20 in/lbs but wrenches that can go as low as 10 in/lbs tend to be very expensive. Any suggestions? Is it as simple as tighten to prevent lateral movement and not so tight that the parts won't move?

Default Re: Torque Values

MoFlyer Mike,

Now you hit a subject dear to my heart

You do fish in Missouti, right?

One of my favorite tools for torquing stuff where the normal wrench doesn't fit or the torque values are off scale is this:

1) Get a fish scale.....calibrate it with a known weight....I have found that most fish scales are biased towards the end of the scale that makes a fish person feel exceptionally good about their catch FWIW - scales of this type, if they have an error, are off by a percentage so using a known weight towards the high end of what the scale reads will do just fine. Figure out the % error and write it on the scale for reference.

2) Pick out a combination wrench where the open end fits the fastener and the closed end can be used to hook your scale...

3) Measure the distance center to center on your combo wrench in inches and do the math for the torque value. Be sure to apply your correction factor determined in 1) above to the reading.

4) When applying torque with the scale, be sure to keep it tangent to the arc of the wrench for accuracy.

Very inexpensive solution. Neither the cost of the wrench nor the presence of a computer chip in it necessarily determines accuract....calibration does. The scale method also lets you see where you are on torque as you approach the target value compared to the snap/click wrenches.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Excellent Dave! I do have access to calibrated weights for our scales so known weights shouldn't be a problem. Could be an issue with the setup in some locations of nuts on the airframe but will work around them.

Thanks again,

Mike

I found a simple old fashioned flexing beam with scale type torque wrench at a motorcycle shop for reasonable price. It is sized for torques down in the 10-50 in-lb range.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Not sure what is considered expensive, but I found a 3/8 drive at Harbor Freight that adjusts from 5 to 80 foot pounds for $21.99.

Link: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...rench-807.html
    RobS

I think I see what I missed - you need inch pounds!
    RobS

I use this one. I think I paid about $60 a couple years ago. The beam style is great for finding your nut friction too.

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-Tor.../dp/B00LPLNLNQ

This thread is a few years old and I will be picking my kit up the first week of June. My shopping cart is full of stuff that this forum has recommended, but no torque wrenches yet. What torque wrenches are people using for kit assembly (not engine stuff), and where can I get them?

I was going to get a 0 -300 inch lb dial, figuring that would cover most everything, and then borrow my neighbors Snap On clickers fit everything above that. What say the crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy66 View Post
    This thread is a few years old and I will be picking my kit up the first week of June. My shopping cart is full of stuff that this forum has recommended, but no torque wrenches yet. What torque wrenches are people using for kit assembly (not engine stuff), and where can I get them?

I was going to get a 0 -300 inch lb dial, figuring that would cover most everything, and then borrow my neighbors Snap On clickers fit everything above that. What say the crowd?
    FWIW from an anal engineer: I would suggest investing in your own torque wrenches. Wrench accuracy can vary widely depending on use and abuse. If you have your own, you can calibrate and use the same wrench every time. My Craftsman 3/8" and 1/2" clickers work fine.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Danzer1 View Post
    FWIW from an anal engineer: I would suggest investing in your own torque wrenches. Wrench accuracy can vary widely depending on use and abuse. If you have your own, you can calibrate and use the same wrench every time. My Craftsman 3/8" and 1/2" clickers work fine.

Greg

Have to agree with Greg on this

BTW - I have found that just about every A & P and (every other type of mechanic) I know has a little discussed but almost universally and ocasionally used torque wrench, tongue in cheek, called a "proprioceptive torque wrench" for use in those awkward places no mechanical torque wrench will fit or if you are in the outback somewhere without your favorite T wrench. Basically, with time and experience, a person will know pretty well within a very small variation what a particular torque feels like on a particular diameter bolt and thread pitch even without a T wrench. Results can also be real close if, with experience, a person observes how far a bolt has to be turned after taking the slack out of the fastener.

I like my 3/8" clicker and use a 1/2" beam for what little amount of big stuff is on a plane, both calibrated.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN