Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotax engine - where to get maintenance info?

Default Re: Rotax engine - where to get maintenance info?

Google AN bolt Torque values. Provided you can identify the bolt you will find all the torques this way.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

thanks - I understand that I can find the torque values for the bolts, but my concern is for the casing

The light and heavy maintenance manuals are available for free download on the Rotax-Owner website.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Karl,

IMHO - Rotax is almost as clear on making it easy to find specific torque values in their manuals as Mississippi mud at Midnight. Almost but not quite. I am very sympathetic towards anyone trying to wade through the manuals to find this stuff for the first time.

The very small section in the current heavy maintenance manual shows only generic specifications for 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10 mm fasteners with the little note to use these unless specified otherwise for a component, as far as I can see.

If there are no other directions for the 10 mm engine suspension bolts holding the ring mount to the engine block the values would be 28.5 foot pounds or 310 inch pounds.

When I got my engine, the documents distributed on disk with the specific engine showed a list of specific torque values along with the generic values for 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10 mm fasteners; however, the 10 mm engine suspension bolts holding the ring mount to the engine block were not listed separately so the generic value is what I used for the 10 mm bolts. I don't see the extended list in the current documents on the Rotax website, only the limited generic list for 5 sizes of metric fasteners.

Good luck.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I believe as I understand, were talking about the ring mount to the engine mount that has the Rubber mount interface. I looked at my 912iS installation instructions and found, and I quote. "Tighten each nut until the isolator washers contact the steel bushing, torque to 160 to 190 in-lbs. and secure with the cotter pin." That is verbatim from my install manual. Ill attempt to post a Pic of that page.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I believe he's talking about the ring mount to engine, Eddie. The torque value for those 4 bolts can be found in the parts manual - 30 Ft. lbs.

Those plated, steel bolts are mated with tapped holes into aluminum. In my opinion, it is good practice to lightly coat the threads with anti-seize compound to help prevent any galling or corrosion
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks John. Your right.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Most torque values, unless specified otherwise, are for dry threads (no lubrication). Anti-seize compound will act as a lubricant, which may cause an overtorque situation if you use the same torque value. I don't know if this is very significant or not, but I bring it up anyway because some folks may not pay any attention or realize that a torque spec always includes a "dry" or "lubed" condition.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Dave - really appreciate your help!

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I believe he's talking about the ring mount to engine, Eddie. The torque value for those 4 bolts can be found in the parts manual - 30 Ft. lbs.

Those plated, steel bolts are mated with tapped holes into aluminum. In my opinion, it is good practice to lightly coat the threads with anti-seize compound to help prevent any galling or corrosion
    Dave’s comments about Rotax recommended torque values are exactly right... don’t know why they had to make it so hard to find in the past, or why they changed. The value I mentioned above (30 ft. lbs.) was directly out of the parts manual only a few years ago when they used to publish many torque values there (Section 71-20-00, p.3). They have obviously changed the recommendation since then and Dave’s info is correct & accurate, as usual. Use the standard values listed in the current Heavy Maintenance Manual (28.5 ft. lbs.). I’m sorry to have added any confusion to the conversation.

As far as using anti-seize, Jim is absolutely correct (as usual also!). I still personally think it’s a good idea in this situation, and I believe it was also recommended to me by Kitfox. I’ve seen adverse results of steel bolts in aluminum multiple times over the years when doing engine work. I think it’s unlikely there would be any adverse over-torque, especially since there were thousands of engines probably using the higher published torque value for years, and it is now lower to begin with. As always, these are just my personal thoughts and people have to make up their own minds.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime