I have had some brake issues with my new Model IV. When it occurs, it is overheating of the right brake and it's occasionally locking up. I first felt it was a faulty parking brake, but it persisted after bypassing the right side of the parking brake.

Then Esser's very thoughtful solution to his height issues got me thinking about the Model IV rudder brake pedal geometry.

My current brake pedals are of the C variety rather than the E pedals on my first Model IV so didn't have the lower arm to help keep off the brakes while taxiing. Examining the geometry of the pedals and where my feet would normally rest, I decided I needed to make some modifications. I cut some notches in the pedal tubing and bent the notch closed and welded it up. Several cuts and welds later, I had a pedal where I could sit normally and not feel the brake arm first. Notice that the two pedals are not symmetrical as it was the right pedal that required the greatest bend to provide the clearance I needed. It was also the right brake that was the troublesome one.

Rudder Pedals 1.jpg

I then decided to weld in some U shaped tubing to give a bit more feel while in the rudder only foot position. I did some taxi testing and really like the feel. It is a lot like the E pedals, but more positive in the ball of my foot.

Rudder Pedals 2A.jpg
Rudder Pedals 3.jpg
Rudder Pedals 4.jpg