Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 912 Voltage regulator

Default Re: Rotax 912 Voltage regulator

I had a split master switch (batt/alt) that had a fault in it. I believe it was feeding back through the regulator and lunched it.

These regulators are just like any other motorcycle unit. If the battery power is interrupted while the engine is running, the regulator will quickly fail.

I've had the same thing happen twice on my motorcycle, and the H-D regulator is almost as expensive…
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thought I'd add a little info to this old thread, FWIW. These are available through Amazon -

https://www.amazon.com/DB-Electrical...96602&sr=8-295

I've been told that they are equivalent to the Ducati units used by Rotax, for about $100 less. Might be worth stocking one if you are using the original Ducati unit. I have a friend with a RANS S7 and 912ULS who is using one.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Another option is B&C has developed a voltage regulator that they are planning on providing a lifetime warranty. Mike at Stol Creek aviation has more info if your interested.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

This thread (and the other about the capacitor) made me nervous (flying without a back up regulator and no over voltage protection with the Rotax unit) and I just ordered one from B&C. All of the B&C components I've had have proven to be bullet proof. I asked about the need for the infamous capacitor and was informed that their unit doesn't need one - unless you have a bit of noise to clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Thought I'd add a little info to this old thread, FWIW. These are available through Amazon -

https://www.amazon.com/DB-Electrical...96602&sr=8-295

I've been told that they are equivalent to the Ducati units used by Rotax, for about $100 less. Might be worth stocking one if you are using the original Ducati unit. I have a friend with a RANS S7 and 912ULS who is using one.
    Just checking is the regulator the one you listed or possibly this one

https://www.amazon.com/DB-Electrical...857923&sr=8-12

I had ordered the one you listed when I was having charging problems with my 912 but after checking the numbers on my regulator I found that it was a 343620 rather than the 343520 you listed. I asked DB electrical for the specs and what the differences were between the two regulators and could never get an answer.
    As it turned out I stole a regulator from a friend who had an extra so I have never used either regulator yet. Next time you see your friend with the Rans ask him if it is the black connector or the Red connector on the regulator. I have 1 black and two red now but would like confirmation about the number. By the way my old regulator had about 400hrs when it died but I had some battery issues so I am not sure I can blame the regulator.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

It’s black, Norm. I’m not using that type myself... I have a Silent Hektik unit. I don’t see those numbers that you’re talking about on the Amazon listing. The link I posted is for the DB Electrical 230-42030. I just talked to him & he confirmed the link. The link you just posted is for the 230-42029. All I know is that he said it works perfectly.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    It’s black, Norm. I’m not using that type myself... I have a Silent Hektik unit. I don’t see those numbers that you’re talking about on the Amazon listing. The link I posted is for the DB Electrical 230-42030. I just talked to him & he confirmed the link. The link you just posted is for the 230-42029. All I know is that he said it works perfectly.

Thanks John
    I actually ordered mine from Ebay as shipping was easier to Canada. The 343620 is the Ducatti number. Appears on my old one and also on the replacement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Voltage...cAAOSw3~dfplHq

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Voltage....c100005.m1851

The Silent Hektik is one that looks very interesting but I could not find a source. Looks like I'll have one to try and two spares but the price for the 3 was less than the price of my first one from Rotax
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV

Finally was able to get to install the B&C unit. Nice looking (external components are all "hog outs"). Appeared to be smaller (in height) and lighter as well. Was a drop in replacement and puts out a tad more voltage than the unit that came with my engine.

New voltage regulator small.jpg

I have little experience with Rotax engines so if my question seems foolish, forgive me. I'm far more comfortable with Continental motors.

Here goes: Is there a reason, other than failure, to change this regulator on a basis of hours of operation? My engine has just over 700 hours. I can't remember if this was a component that came with the FWF kit or I had to buy it separately or if it came with the motor when I bought it. In any case, given the apparent frequency of failure that seems to be occurring, I wonder if this should be replaced every 100 hours or so? Since the DB Electrical 130-42030 voltage regulator is a $40 dollar part, it almost seems like this is something to do occasionally.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Maverick,

I do not see any reason to routinely replace the regulator. One item which can be hard on them is asking them to do too much; in other words, if a person is running an electrical system which maxes out or somewhat exceeds the charging capacity, failure is not going to be due to the hours. My understanding is the regulator does not tolerate max output very well in the long run. There are probably a few other things that can precipitate failure which do not include hours run; and, replacing the regulator based on hours probably won't save a person from any of them.

I think it is worth while to pull the connectors periodically to assure there are no loose connections or crimp issues which could create high resistance points; and, a little dielectric grease goes a long ways warding off corrosion problems.

One of the optional regulators builders are using (including John Deer yard tractor units) would certainly be my choice if one is ever needed but I would never replace one that is working fine. I can see having a spare handy is not a bad idea but save it till and if it is needed.

Others mileage may vary.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN