Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 912 Voltage regulator

Default Re: Rotax 912 Voltage regulator

Original one lasted over 400 hours then would not control charge rate accurately. Had to run lights at times to prevent over charge. Replacement over 200 hours with no problem.
    My TinyTach died after 200 hours. Is this normal? I guess we shouldn`t expect much for $50!
    We are having fun practicing for our November 11 Flypast. 6 aircraft from an RV 8, 3 Cessnas, my Vixen and a Maranda. Quite the performance variation!!

Let`s all honour our Vets and fallen Servicemen/women this week.

Cheers
    Don

I've had at least 5 fail.

Some talk of the ease of overloading these enemic little units by operating too many power consuming devices while engine rpm's are too low as during taxi times, warm up times and anytime the rpms's are below 3500 or so.
    I certainly have done all those things. Will change my practices and see if life expectancy increases.
    I would turn on strobes and wig-wags on the ground before take off. We think this is detrimental to the regulator. I'll now wait until
    take off roll to activate high load devices like strobes and try to remember to shut them off right after landing. My strobes are not LED by the way but the new project will be. That will help unload the regulator during strobe use.

The failures would manifest in early stages as temporary over voltages on the bus bar during cruise rpm's. Sometimes they would climb to 16 volts. I would flip on all electrical devices to pull the voltage down to normal range. After a while that would not help and the unit would have to be replaced.
    I hear that the Van's RV 12 guys direct cooling air on to their reg/rectifiers to keep them cool.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

A couple points I was not aware of - Lowell about not shutting down the master before shutting down the engine ( I do have an avionics switch to shut off the radios though) and DF 4 about the load at low RPMs.

A person can learn stuff all the time on this forum

Maybe I have survived both by default rather than design as I have always shut of the engine before the master for other reasons; and, our KF has a minimal load on the rather wimpy standard Rotax alternator due to the fact that we have the auxillary belt drive alternator which takes all the high draw stuff like lights, etc while the wimpy one is just for stuff like the radio. The dual system provides that a person can isolate a bad alternator/regulator, cross tie the load and still be operational.

I almost hate to say it lest I invite murphy's ghost to visit upon me...but - never had a Rotax regulator failure over 7 years, to answer the question at hand.

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I just replaced a failed one at 300 hours; it quit charging the battery. All my strobes and nav lights are LED. It is mounted in the cockpit area behind my panel. When I put the new one in, I cut a small (about1/4" square) hole in my scat tubing for the panel air vents to direct outside air toward the regulator.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have heard that many guys carry a spare with them because these things can easily strand you somewhere. Almost none of the major airport maintenance shops keep these regulators in stock, so you would end up waiting several days while you have Lockwood, CPS, or Kitfox (bless them, they keep some in stock) ship one to your location.

I believe these Ducati regulators are by far the weakest link in the whole otherwise reliable 912 engine series. I wish Rotax would step up to the plate and recognize this and develop a good one of their own, or partner with another vendor, to solve this problem once and for all before they spend any more effort in developing and improving the engine itself. It only makes good business logic to attack the weakest links first. Sorry about my soapbox!

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Quote Originally Posted by kmach View Post
    I have over 650 hrs with no failure, 912 uls internal generator only. regulator mounted in the cockpit.

I never shutoff the master with the engine running. If memory serves me right, the 912 operators manual covers that.
    I run a fairly high load , efis ,ems, gps, radio ,transponder ,intercom, IFA electric prop, stabilizer electric trim, aeroled's aerosun wig wag and position/strobes, heater fan, aux fuel pump . Thankfully allot listed are intermittent short period use. The IFA prop , radio transmitting and trim adjustment on an idling final definitely suck the power.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Never a failure - 900 hours first kitfox 100 hours on second. As others, mounted aft of the firewall and often ran with strobes and incandescent position lights. I remember the caution about switching off the master before engine shut down being a no no. Apparently having the stator input without having a load can fry the unit - at least.my understanding.
    I've never had a problem with any of mine. first one with 1500 hrs and second with 400 now. I have 2 switches for mags and key for start. main is on a switch on the right side of the panel, I turn that on first and last thing when done flying. you might have something on this subject.

wait a minute my first one I carried over to the second motor so it has a total of 1900 hrs on it. the new one is in my tool box.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

If you are looking for a regulator replacement for the Ducati you might try John Deere. Part number AM126304. About $70 but can be found cheaper ($44) on eBay or online sellers.

These regulators are similar (identical ???) to the Ducati unit and are used a lot by the Corvair conversion crowd.

John P

Add me to the list.

I just replaced mine today to fix an intermittent no-charging situation. 550 hours total time on the plane. It's been giving me off and on trouble for the last ~10 hours.

I was dreading the idea of possibly replacing the stator coil. I was happy as a pig in mud when the stator checked out (.1 ohm resistance, 15 volts ac at idle and 25 at 3000 rpm).
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Glad for you that it was not the stator. Rotax has a weak link that really needs addressing.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear