Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotecradial

Default Rotecradial

Hello..

Can anybody tell me what kind of costs are involved in the firewall forward if using a Rotecradial engine. Also is there a dealer here in the U.S. that deals with that engine???

Default Re: Rotecradial

the engines are like 25k new. Can be had used for around 16k. I Imagine there are some serious airframe modifications to make that engine work with a kitfox. But If I could afford it I would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by av8ir View Post
    Hello..

Can anybody tell me what kind of costs are involved in the firewall forward?
    Give us a call.. We may be able to help.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

The last price I got from Rotec early this year for a 2800 was about $16,800 and then do the extras you want. Totaled out about $20,000. The cowling (or lack thereof) is the issue that has kept me from the purchase. If I figure that out I may still do it. I'm building a Super Sport.

Dick B

I'm currently installing a Rotec R2800 on a Classic 4 Speedster kit. I had purchased the engine for a single place project orginally, but put on hold because of the need for a two place. You didn't say the model Kitfox your contemplating installing it on, but there are a number of 4's and newer versions this has been accomplished with, all with good results. I suggest you visit Rotec's website ( WWW.Rotecradialegines.com ) where there are a number of Kitfoxs of all models to review under customer projects. The design for the engine mount and oil tank has already been done and Paul Chernikeef, head of Rotec, is installing a R2800 on model 4 Kitfox. I don't know what the current price is for the R2800 but you can inquire via the website. They have had Oshkosh specials in the past. I recently purchased the exhaust collector ring delivered to Texas via Fedex for $1237.00. Fuel injection is now avialable for the engine and I purchased it for there introductory price for around $500.00. I think if you do a comparision between the 100hp 912 Rotax and the Rotec R2800 and what you need firewall forward to get airborne they will compare very closely in total cost. The Rotax will provide slightly better fuel economy, payload and availability for serving but if you love the look and sound of a radial engine the Rotec is the best choice. The modifications to the Classic 4 for the R2800 are placing the battery in the tail for CG and cutting of the attachment horns on the boot cowl and refiberglassing. All the trailblazing has already been done on this engine installation and the results indicate it is a good performer with the R2800.

Thankyou for all the posts and info on the Rotec Radial engine. I am not sure of the direction I will go yet. I think the looks and sounds of a radial engine are spectacular. I am currently trying to learn all I can about the different engines and the best application for what I want to do in the future.

I have 20 Hours now on a Model 4 with the Rotec Radial. 4 hours this last weekend. I am unable to get the smile off my face. I will attach photos if I can figure out how.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thankyou airhawg for the heads up...

ME2
    Wow...... Your plane is extremely nice looking.. I am not suprised that you cannot get the smile to go away.. Keep me updated on how your Rotec is working for you as you get more hours on it...

av8ir

Very nice. Good luck with her. You did a really nie job. You should be very proud.