Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Smooth cowl on a model 2

Default Smooth cowl on a model 2

so I have this smooth cowl off a model 4, i have a model 2 with a Rotax 912 on it. Was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to put
    A smooth cowl on a model 2? And if so how much modification needed to be done. Width of my fire wall is 32" width of the cowling measures 36"

Default Re: Smooth cowl on a model 2

I've never done what you are asking about, but in a way, I'm going to have to do the opposite. As you probably know, the Kitfox 1,2,and 3 are very similar to the Avid Flyer. I have an Avid MK IV cowl that was on a 912 engined plane that I was going to use on my Kitfox 4. What I have might be closer to what you need and what you have may be closer to what I need. Here is a pic of my cowl sitting on the Kitfox 4. I would be curious to know how far it is from your firewall to the prop flange on your 912. The Avid cowl will have to be lengthened some to fit the Kitfox 4, but might be the right length for an earlier model Kitfox. This might bear looking into. On the Avid, they put the radiator inside the cowling, that's what the lower opening is for, but I had planed to put a regular style Kitfox radiator under the belly of the plane. I'm pretty sure the firewall on my Avid MK IV is about 32" wide, like your Kitfox 2. Jim Chuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chuk I am real close to about 42" from firewall to the prop flange

You must be measuring some thing different than I am, I have 29" from the firewall to the prop flange measuring over the top of the 912 engine. Just wondering, did you transpose numbers? 24" would be a lot closer I would think. Jim Chuk