Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox IV or Kolb Mark III?

Default Kitfox IV or Kolb Mark III?

Does anyone have experience with both of these planes? I am specifically looking at which tailwheel is easier to control. But if you know of any other pros or cons of either I would appreciate your experience.

Default Re: Kitfox IV or Kolb Mark III?

First and most important question is what is your mission for the airplane?

These are very different airplanes with different flight characteristics and speed envelopes.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I started with Kolb firestar then went to Mk 3. After that it was a Kitfox Model 1, then a 2 and now I have a model 4 that's flying and a model 4 project. If you want to discuss a phone call would be best. Tom Parkhurst 607-895-6168.

So here's my mission.
    1. Fold the wings and store in my garage
    2. Fly within 150 mile radius of my house
    3. Land on dirt roads or open 2 track roads
    4. STOL - land on semi rough areas
    5. Trailer to location and unfold and fly
    6. Visit higher altitude strips
    7. Takeoff from my house with 2 people on a 1200 foot dirt strip at my house with a barbed wire fence on end and no obstructions on the other. Altitude 3,100 MSL
    8. Scout big game and new hunting areas.

Tom, I gave you a call so whenever it's convenient to talk. Thanks for your kind offer. You experience with both makes is exactly what I need.

Elliot,
    I saw your call on my caller ID, sorry that I missed it. What you described as mission for your airplane is pretty much what I've been doing with the exception of scouting for game. My favorite activity is trailering to flyin's around my local area and mingling with other pilot/builders. The photos are prior to completion of my project. Please call again when it's convienient I'm always interested in talking to people with similar interests.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom
    I'm interested in details of the superstructure framing and covering of your trailer. I have a boat type trailer that was built for my KF2 and am considering enclosing it.
    Lou
    KitFox II

Here is my take on the different airplanes. I've owned and flown 4 different Avid Flyers, and a flying buddy of mine had his Kolb Firestar at my strip for a few years and I flew that some as well. There was also a Kolb MK 3 nearby that although I never flew it, I heard plenty about it and for that matter, helped drag it out of the woods after it went down. First off, the wings do fold on a Kolb, but it's no wheres near as easy as on the Kitfox. The Kolb I flew landed easier than the Avid, but it lands almost 10 mph slower as well, and that helps. It's also longer and that keeps it straighter as well I think. Kolb is probably slower than the Kitfox also. Here is something else to think about. When the engine quit on that Kolb, my buddy and the guy he was flying with both ended up with broken legs. Just about the furthest thing forward in the Kolb when you are flying, is your feet. I've had to put two Avids down after engine outs where I ended up upside down, and didn't get a scratch either time. I think either plane will get out of your strip with no problem after you are used to flying it. Just in case you're not familiar with Avids, they are the plane Kitfox was originally copied from, and are very similar to the Kitfoxes up until the Kitfox 4. No doubt in my mind, the Kitfox would be a better bush style plane than the Kolb. Jim Chuk