Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Need to change oil!

Default Need to change oil!

Hello everyone! I've been flying a lot lately practicing manuvers, landings, cross country etc!!! I usually change oil at 35 hrs. I ordered my fuel filter, oil filter and my Aeroshell sportplus 4 (3qts). Aircraft spruce called me today and told me that It is backordered til April 30th. I also called California power systems and they told me the same thing. Would any of you fine gents be willing to sell me 3 qts so I can change oil. It would be greatly appreciated. I've already ran it to 40 hrs., and I hate to run it further. My cell # is 402-750-8916 and we can work out the details!

Thank you
    Patrick
    Series 6 , Rotax 912 100 hp

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: Need to change oil!

Are you using 100ll ?

50 hrs is where I change mine, using mostly premium unleaded with occasional 100ll . I believe the Rotax manual states 100 hrs with premium.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Quote Originally Posted by kmach View Post
    Are you using 100ll ?

50 hrs is where I change mine, using mostly premium unleaded with occasional 100ll . I believe the Rotax manual states 100 hrs with premium.
    NO, I use only 91 oct.
    thanks

Per my Rotax training at LEAF:

If you are only using auto fuel, you can use any "motorcycle" 10w-30 oil. My choice is Mobile Racing 4T. A synthetic like this is safe to easily make 75 hours or more with regular use. If you are flying with mineral oil and auto fuel, 50 hours is a safe mark. The only time you would need to change more frequently is if you are having a steady diet of 100LL (this would also require the use of a semi-synthetic like the Sport +4 or mineral oil).
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

What Av8r3400 said....

I used Mobile Racing 4T in our 912ULS when I was running 100% auto gas......ran fine on that. The 4T has the additive in it required for the gearbox.

Only time you need to go with a semisynthetic is if you are running 100 LL

Dave S

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I used to use amsoil full synthetic motorcycle oil with premium 91 octane only.

I only switched to the sport plus4 for ease of fuelling with 100ll on longer trips.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Thanks everyone! I did confirm the use of a different oil with (LEAF ) Rotax tech support! Went with Mobil 4 T racing oil, for this change. My father who is a farmer always said start with a good oil and stick with the same oil. Thanks everyone very much appreciated as always!

Patrick
    Series 6 - Rotax 912, 100 hp

With only using 91 octane waiting to 50 would have been no problem. Rotax recommends 50 hours between oil changes when using unleaded. Thanks for the heads up on Moble 4 T Racing Oil, I've got about 20 hours, before I need an oil change.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas