Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Great Weekend

Default A Great Weekend

Maddie and I loaded up and headed for (MO9) Kingsley field , home of the Hangar Kafe' its a great day for flying..severe clear and light winds out of the south,..climbed up to 3500 to get out of the potholes and headed west, the plan was to meet up with cubtractor and his beautiful wife Stacey for lunch,,, so Maddie n I are on our way..setting a track to avoid class C at springfield MO, it took us an hour to cover the 110 mile track,..as we approach MO9 we can hear traffic chatter ..fairchild N,,,, downwind for 18 Kingsley..we announce we are 10 miles out east at 3500,..then we hear SuperCub N,,,, crossing midfield for downwind 18 kingsley.... sounds like allot going on for lunch today at Kingsley..so we join in and set up for down wind to 18..stretch it out a bit,,there is an AG plane practicing touch n go's in the pattern,,so we give him some room..then get in line to land,..
    Kingsley is a grass strip with a high spot 2/3's the runway length on the north end so landing on 18 the ground is coming up at a about a 3% grade..nothing serious..but most tend to touch down at the crest which has taken its tole on the surface,,this year they fixed it with some fine aggregate which is holding up well and adds a bit of traction on the wet ground,..we land and taxi to the south parking area..there is a Fairchild.a 195..2 supercubs a 172 ( which looked odd amongst all the tail draggers)and a couple other cubs,..but no other kitfox's ..we beat cubtractor to the field~!! ha ha.we park and let the fox cool down a bit before shutting her down.
    Maddie can feel her belly button rubbing against her back bone and says "I cant wait to eat~!!" soon enough young un..I replied..Mike should be here soon,..so we unload..and checking out the other aircraft..and subconsciously waiting to hear that jabiru pulling Mikes model 4 across the blue sky's ( Man that motor sounds sweet~!!) I hear.."So I see your plane~!! Where are you??!!..somewhat recognizing the voice from a previous phone call..I turn ..and there is bbs428 and his beautiful wife Diane standing in the parking lot waving~!! what a surprise~!! last I knew the plan was he was going to go to the RC airfield for the day..we say our hellos and intro's ..Brett tries on my 5 for size..he fits well,..I was going to offer to take him up..but..
    then that sweet sound coming from the west..we both turn to see Cubtractor crossing midfield for a DW on 18. so now 3 kitfoxer's on the ground at Kingsley..they will soon have to rope off an area for kitfox parking ha ha..

we enjoyed each others company and a great meal..said our good byes..and Maddie n I departed south to Mt Vernon MO 2MO and took a picture of the runway..and sent it to a potential kitfox flyer that happens to be dragging the Geico race car back from Pheonix.. no doubt he recognizes the field...he replies "What are you doing in my neck of the woods?"" we filled him in on the days event..we had turned east with a course set for GaWilkies residence with the intent of leaving kitfox tracks on the peak of his shop roof ,..but found out George was at the lake..so we did fly over his place then set course for home...

all and all a great day~!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 03-16-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Default Re: A Great Weekend

Sounds fantastic, thanks for sharing
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Man those are some nice Kitfoxes.......oh and Charlie's Fairchild too.
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

Chase,
    Looks like a fun day of Kitfox Flying!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

yes they are Mike~!! and it was an awesome day Steve!
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I will take some of that blue sky in the background , here in Ohio we have not seen much of it for some time now. Great looking planes also. I like the Chisten Eagle paint job really stands out.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but Mike, I'm wondering what your performance is like with the Jabiru engine in the Kitfox. (top speed, rate of climb, ect) Those are some nice looking airplanes, looked like you all had a good time. Jim Chuk

Jim,
    I have an early serial number Jab. It has the poorly designed cast induction manifold so it's a little down on power as compared to a newer Jab 2200. I do have the parts to convert it to the later model induction which should be good for another 5 hp. Hoping to make the swap this summer. As it sits, with me and about 1/2 tanks of gas, I can get anywhere from 1000 fpm climb depending on the temperature, sometimes a little more or less, and I usually cruise around 98 mph at 2950ish rpm. Max weight I can usually count on 600-800 fpm and it seems to settle on 95mph. With the Ellison throttle body I can lean it out and cruise on 3 gph or less on non-ethanol 91 octane Mogas. It does pretty good I guess for what it is and with the tires hanging out. Pretty cheap flying. I'm anxious to swap intakes and I want to get a Prince prop for it as well.
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

Thanks for the recap Chase. Sounds like a fun time and a nice place to meet up.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I hope the weather is cooperative April 4th, should be a great Fly in, thanks Jim, the paint scheme gets a little ribbing now n then , but most agree its an eye catcher, Steve, you get your 7 done and plan on flying to osh kosh MO9 is a good place to land and fill up the food blister
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL