Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LED Landing lights

Default Re: LED Landing lights

Hi Dave,

The caveat can be a bit confusion....14 CFR 91.205 does not apply to any aircraft other than those aircraft with a standard airworthiness certificate - so experimentals do not have to comply with dot 205.
    That's why I asked about the wording in your limitations. I've heard of, but not seen personally, wording in the limitations that states something to the effect of "in compliance with part 91.205" (as a specific limitation reference).

Hoping you could clarify how they wrote yours.

Thanks, Greg

Aeroleds only certified light is the pulsar. Everything else is exp and lots of people are flying at night with them

Greg,

I'll look up my limitations the next time I get to the plane....I don't want to guess and I do want to supply you with an accurate response.

Probably won't be flying tomorrow......snow forcast and something about wind gusts equal to a Kitfox's stalling speed......this too shall pass...soon I hope.

Dave S

All DARs operate from an FAA Order 8130.2G Change 1
    that is where the limitations come from and for night
    flight you must meet 91.205.

D Kelm

All DARs operate from an FAA Order 8130.2G Change 1
    that is where the limitations come from and for night
    flight you must meet 91.205.
    D - I know you are a DAR and maybe you can shed some additional light on the subject. I do understand there were operating limitations written prior to April 2011 that did not reference 91.205. I have also heard of some (but not personally seen) some written since that either did or did not specifically reference 91.205 even though they all should have that reference in them (EAB only) LSA being a little different.

I have also heard of some "flexibility" in the interpretation of "approved" such as what Dave S mentioned below with equivalent products.

Have also heard of varying interpretations of the instrument and equipment requirements in 91.205 as it also requires for night vfr - a list of "approved" instruments and also "approved" safety harnesses. I know of several that never had the instruments or harnesses even looked at. And I know of a few others that were nixed on inspection because the harnesses were not FAA approved, but similar. Any comment?

As relates to LSA, I recall the requirement is to for the aircraft to be operated in accordance with the operators manual (or something to that affect). So if the aircraft manufacturer said it was equipped for night vfr and you followed the operators manual "you are okay".

However, the requirement for LSA, is also to follow the operating limitations prescribed for the aircraft systems. There were some Rotax and Jabiru engines of certain years of manufacture that were limited by those engine manufacturers to day VFR only unless they were "certified" versions (this has since been changed by Rotax). So there were/are some LSA's that the aircraft manufacturers said "okay" in the manual, yet the engine manufacturer said "no" hence subject to potential issues if the limitations were not also adhered to.

To further add to the confusion, Rotax current view is (direct statement out of their current manuals) - "Unless correctly equipped to provide enough electrical power for night VFR (according latest requirement as ASTM), the ROTAX 912 UL/ULS/ULSFR is restricted to DAY VFR only".

Who determines if an LSA is "correctly equipped" per ASTM and how? ASTM also requires an attitude indicator and instrument lights over and above the FAA 91.205 requirement. Are those also to be installed and inspected?

Likewise who and how would the ASTM standard be reviewed and inspected as relates to "correctly equipped" per ASTM for an EAB?

Not trying to pick on the DAR's, but the confusion in the field exists for the operators as there seems to be a lot of varying "flexibility" in the interpretations and inspections. It's not a perfect world!

Greg

This is what my ops limits say

After completion of phase I flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in accordance with ยง 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day only.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Mine says exactly the same as Dorsal's.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

this is my first test
    so ..in first i try it in my shop and i check the temp......when it is on without strobe...it's overheat really fast..''without heatsink''
    so i try with strobe driver....better..
    after i make an small heatsink like you can see in video...and it's again better..
    63 degree celsius...but i need to have 50-55 celsius..and all this test are make with 15 feet wire...for the brightness...you really need an sunglasse..it is very hard for eyes.
    so next step is to weld an resistor for each leds and an good circuit breaker..
    and for now i dont receive my lens reflector....that will be really cool with that..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_c...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Jfquebec; 03-06-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: description

That's BRIGHT!!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Looks good JF. Is that with no reflector lens?

I'm keeping mine down to below 60C with a 40 watt chip but it's a landing light so it's always on.
    Building a strobe is next on my list. How big is that unit?