Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LED Landing lights

Default Re: LED Landing lights

Let me know what you come up with JF. I was think of alibaba to get the cost down further but I don't want to sacrifice quality so I would be interested to see how how make out

yes...i will give you "come back" of my led project....i check for 30w,50w and 100 w led chip ...but it work on 32 volt,,,so you need an tranformer
    but it is really bright...30 watt is 3000 lumen,,,50 watt is 4000-5000 lumen and 100 watt is 8000-9000 lumen...
    i will make a tes how far you see the strobe in daylight with the 10 watt....and if i dont like the result i will going with 30w with tranformer

Here's another idea for you guys: http://www.amazon.com/3800lm-Outdoor.../dp/B009PWE6RW

Already in a weatherproof housing, all you'd have to do is rewire the switching and power (which you have to do anyway) and mount them.

Greg

I ordered this pair as backup lights for my Suzuki Samurai. I installed 1 and tested, it is so good I don't think I will in stall the other. I believe they are 1620 Lumens each.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-LED-Wor...item3cec8c3a85

Well here are some pictures for everyone. We are designing it to fit into the kitfox wing. It is a little bigger than we were hoping for but we made it fit.

We designed a water proof housing which drove up the weight to 196 grams(7 oz). We hope to have the first prototype fully machines and assembled in a couple weeks to verify strength, weight, and performance. So far we have the chip and the light and it looks very promising. Hard to show in pictures.

My experience. I put some home brew (Meaning non name branded) position and strobes on my currently flying Model IV. They were from a design by the electronics GURU at Kitplanes. It wasn't until recently that I re-read my Airworthiness Certificate and Operating Limitations that I noticed that the airplane is limited to daytime VFR. At the time of the inspection, there was no talk about any of the systems, electrical or otherwise, just a fairly thorough inspection. You guys who are going the inexpensive or home brew route might put a little research and documentation into your build book and maybe should bring up the subject during the inspection. I doubt many of these guys know a lumen from a lemon, but they do recognize a Whelen when they see one.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Hi Lowell...for me..like you said...i cant fly in night..so i just want an good strobe for make sure everyone see me in sky in daytime...that is why i dont need a light on plane..

Lowell,

A follow-up on your statement & my experience....

"...my Airworthiness Certificate and Operating Limitations that I noticed that the airplane is limited to daytime VFR. At the time of the inspection, there was no talk about any of the systems, electrical or otherwise, just a fairly thorough inspection."

As we have come to understand the real world......all DARs operate under the same agency and under the same rules for their profession; however there are plenty of observed individual variances among DARs with regard to what they cover, how thorough the inspection is, what is emphasised during the inspection, etc, etc. I have come to the conclusion that a builder needs to think about what is important to them and the use their plane will get and then communicate and ask a lot of questions of the DAR so the Builder & DAR are traveling the same wavelength.

I knew from the start that I wanted limitations that did not exclude Day/Night VFR.....not that I fly at night all the time but it has utility for dragging it home late after the sun goes down. I did communicate with the DAR before the inspection regarding this issue and he says...."Sure...we can do D/N VFR and here is how I will evaluate the plane for this purpose....If you want LED position & Strobes, I want to see: 1) an approved LED unit, or 2) an unapproved LED unit that you have substantiated the light quantity, quality and radius is equivalent to the requirement". For non-LED systems, he was fine if it was either a traditional unit or a non approved unit that has bulbs which are acceptable in an approved unit. The deal that I was reminded of is that LED systems were considered in their infancy at the time I requested an airworthiness inspection.

He also asked me if I was intending to do acrobatics...well, no......but he was pretty good at asking all the operational questions.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Dave,

I have heard of this being done.
    "Sure...we can do D/N VFR and here is how I will evaluate the plane for this purpose.
    How did he/they modify/write the language in your operating limitations to allow night vfr?

Did he also require the aircraft to comply with 14 CFR 91.205?

Greg

HI Greg,

I'll have to wait till the next time I get to the hangar and look up the exact language of my limitations; however, I do know it says day night VFR.

The caveat can be a bit confusion....14 CFR 91.205 does not apply to any aircraft other than those aircraft with a standard airworthiness certificate - so experimentals do not have to comply with dot 205.

14 CFR 91.209 does require the use of anticollision and position lights for night operation but is moot on the equipment requirements - just says you have to have lights without addressing approval status (TSO or whatever). That is where our experimental aircraft can be required to comply with equivalence without regard to equipment approval status via the limitations in the judgment of the FAA or its representatives. Sort of like the recent conversation about ADS-B equipment - equivalent performance required ( which should be established through the required testing of the equipment) but not TSO.

Every time I look at this stuff and follow the daisy-chain in the regulations, I can see lots of opportunity for alternate interpretations and some judgment calls....I am just happy as a clam that I made it through the process and that I can fly my Kitfox at night.

Hopefully I will remember to write down the language the next time I am at the hangar.

Sincerely

Dave S