Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Larger Nose Tire

Default Re: Larger Nose Tire

Great videos! Thanks for sharing. The LOC-G accidents I've seen are things like taxiing off center and smacking runway lights, cutting corners etc rather than 'ground loops'. It would be interesting to see some examples of what the tricycle LOC-G incid are. The insurance rates I think are the tell on what is more likely to get into (expensive) trouble. Tricycle gear definitely allows a pilot to be WAY more sloppy on yaw control, which is why many of us (tricycle pilots) are. Tailwheel and glider flying will tighten that up, making the point that they are less forgiving. Though tricycle gear doesn't eliminate ground issues, it seems to help. I Learned from the videos. Thanks again!
    Last edited by BillCuster; 05-10-2021 at 10:31 AM.

You bet. The Air Safety Institute is one of the main reasons I've been an AOPA member for 30+ years. The research and education they do to improve aviation safety is second to none. Their advocacy efforts and the excellent AOPA Pilot​ magazine are icing on the cake.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I also talked to John and he said that to his knowledge, no one has tried to engineer a system for a larger nose tire.

I think this is worth looking into and worth trying.

Rodney
    Rans has an "Tundra" upgrade that allows you to put a bigger nose wheel on their S21. The only info I have seen is prom the parts list, but it looks VERY similar to the Kitfox fork. The PDF I attached are the relevant pages from the parts manual with some drawings. I've been very tempted to get some more info from Rans to see if it would work for a kitfox.

RansTundra.pdf
    Mike
    Building the JaMFox N677JM
    Kitfox 5 Vixen
    KRNM