Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New kitfox speedster builder, Southwest Missouri

Default New kitfox speedster builder, Southwest Missouri

Hey guys,

Retired Navy brownshoe here.
    Been lurking for the last 3 weeks reading all the previous posts...150 pages plus photo albums, saving pic's, pearls of wisdom, etc. in my kitfox folder.
    I really enjoyed all of your threads posted, problems you all worked through and sorted while building. Lot's of info!
    My hope is to meet like minded pilots, contribute to the forum in a meaningful way, have a lot of fun and most of all, to be a friend to those I meet, who enjoy flying as much as I do.

About me... just a civilian now, flying rc planes. Back in the day I worked on S3-A/B lockheed aircraft electronics as an AT in the U.S. Navy. Made chief, got out and started a business installing yacht electronics. In my spare time I restored a few 1967-1969 Ford big block mustangs for fun. After a bit we moved back to the Ozarks in Missouri where my wife (Diane) and I currently live.

Now, about the kitfox!! - a price has been agreed to and I pick up a 1994 classic IV speedster in a few weeks! \o/ oh boy!
    Fuselage is powder coat dark blue. Avionics panel incomplete but looks great, new steam type gauges. I might update the magellan gps while I'm at it.
    Has the all windscreens, doors, grove gear, tires, disk brakes and all the speedster goodies. Also included is a Lycoming O-235 motor mount and a A65 continental engine.
    Does NOT have the firewall fwd kit, firewall, prop, tools or cowl. I'll sell the A65 and the old fuel tanks. We will order new wing and header tanks and look for a good used or new 912uls.
    Haven't decided on clipping the wings and go full speedster, go full STOL or combo of both yet. Got plenty of time to sort it out. The owner and I will start formal inventory next week. So far she is very complete and the workmanship is top notch.

BUT - I had to make a deal with the she-devil herself (the wife) for the funds. Looks like she will get that bathroom remodel and vacation after all.

LOL -but seriously, She's a great gal and is excited for me. Me? I'm really, really excited to be able, once again, to have an opportunity to realize a dream, one that that almost faded away, one that began in the mid 1980's when I received my ppl and flew spam cans and ultra lights with the lads in EAA ch.14 in San Diego, dreaming of the day I would build my own Kitfox.
    Wow!

Brett
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Default Re: New kitfox speedster builder, Southwest Missouri

Brett,
    Congratulations on the new project!! Looks like you did well.

Welcome to the team.... great bunch of folks here!

Cheers,
    Grover (Ex-Army guy)
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

The model 4 is a great aircraft.
    You'll love it's flight characteristics no matter if you go "full" Speedster (short wings) or full length wings. I've flown both many times. With either the 80 hp 912 ul or the 100 hp uls you will have great performance with a very respectable load carrying capacity.

Ordering the new wing fuel tanks and an aluminum header tank is a good idea and will make it more reliable. The Grove gear is a plus also.

Enjoy the forums and thank you for your service in the Navy.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

welcome aboard chief . not sure i under the classic speedster thing . either its a classic or a speedster . if its a speedster the wings are already shorter . my IV 1050 has long wings and my friends speedsters wings are one bay shorter each side . a speedster should perform pretty well with a uls engine , they go really good with the ul as it is .
    good idea , installing the new production tanks . couldn't tell from the pics if the wings were built for the big tanks or small tanks . i had two small tanks in my wings which just isn't enough gas . replaced both with the new 13 gal tanks .
    there are a bunch of guys that are building or flying model IIIs and IVs that hang out here that are willing to help when a question comes up .
    brown shoe , hadn't heard that in a while . did my navy time . got out a AE2 AC.
    never had to go on a boat, thank goodness . did acquire 1700+ hours in the nose of a p2v.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks for the warm welcome all. It's appreciated.

Enjoy the forums and thank you for your service in the Navy.
    np Desertfox4. It was my pleasure.

not sure i under the classic speedster thing . either its a classic or a speedster . if its a speedster the wings are already shorter

Hey cap01, thanks for the welcome aboard! You were an AE - good on you mate. Lol - yea the shoe color is a term of endearment my surface navy mates and us aviator types give each other. Purely out of respect you see... I'll spare you all of the many innuendos involved here. All in good fun.

My wings as of now, are full length. I have all the speedster stuff in the kit. Maybe it was ordered as a classic with speedster mods? It's beyond my noob understanding at atm.
    The fine fellow I purchased the kit from ( also retired navy) showed me the wings, and they are untouched and are still full span (32 ft)
    The wings can have the two larger, 13gal fuel tanks.

Here are few more pic's of when he received the kit... Did everyone receive their kit with pre-built wings? Or was this a quickbuild option?

Brett
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

I purchased my Classic 4 kit in 1994. The prebuilt...Quick build...wings were an option. $1095 labor only.

The speedster wings are built full length and cut outboard of the number 9 rib after the ribs are installed. It is necessary to do it that way to get the proper twist in the wing.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Welcome aboard, I too am retired Navy. 21 years, Master Chief Machinist Mate (Submarines).

I may be interested in the A-65 when the dust settles. I also have a '41 Taylorcraft with the A-65 and I have been thinking about overhauling a different one to have it ready for when this one wears out.

When you are ready to unload it, let me know.

Louie

In addition to what everyone else has said. You may be able to modify yours to be speedster length by just cutting off the last bay and relocating the end rib bracing(keeps structural integrity for fabric shrinking.)... Or you could make removable wing extensions. Double check this, but I believe the spar insert location and length is the same for both wing types. The only difference is a minor adjustment in where the strut attachment is located for a lower dihedral. I have the speedster length and I find they are only for looks. I am a firm believer that the decrease in wing area decreases my lift to where the increased angle of attack needed to hold level flight creates more drag than longer wings of higher lift would. You will take of shorter and fly faster with the longer wing in my opinion.

Attached a pic of my speedster wing. Lots of build pics in my albums.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 02-19-2015 at 08:25 AM.

The prebuilt...Quick build...wings were an option. $1095 labor only.

The speedster wings are built full length and cut outboard of the number 9 rib after the ribs are installed. It is necessary to do it that way to get the proper twist in the wing.

Ty on the clarification tj

Thanks for the info Geowitz. I'm really torn at cutting a perfectly good wing. I'll have to really think on it. Most of my flying is just for fun and the STOL is more important than the speed. However I like the looks and roll rate of the shorter wing. With the 912uls it would be a load of fun! My daughter lives out in San Diego so I can see some flights to visit her. Speed would be good...

Hey vetdrem, ty for the welcome aboard.

I'll have to go over the A65 more closely to see what shape it's in. To be honest I don't know anything about this type of engine. If it was a ford fe v8 that would be different.
    I do know the mags, oil tank, carb and intake are NOT included. When it ran last is anybodies guess. Maybe the owner will produce some engine logs, maybe not. We mostly talked about the kitfox. I did see the engine on an engine stand and it looked good but I have no interest in finding the missing parts and "building" it to sell as a running engine. As of now, it will be sold as is for core value.
    You tell me if it would be worth it to track down the parts and get it running? I just don't know.

Shoot me a pm if your still interested. Maybe with your knowledge of the motor we can figure out if it's worth your time and effort.
    I can do some precise measurements when it's in my possession to find out if the core is worth anything...or if it's a boat anchor.

Brett

Brett Butler

Brett- for all around ease of construction and the best performance at all altitudes, the long wings make the most sense. With the 100 hp Rotax and right prop you will see cruise speeds in the 120 mph range on 5.7 gal. of fuel per hour. You'll retain your cruise speeds better at higher altitudes from my experience with the long wings. Not a large difference but some.
    As far as roll rate, you will find you have all the roll rate you can ever use with the long wings.

Best of luck with your build. If you get stuck on anything just post your questions and someone will be by with help soon.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear