Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FNG Introductions

Default Re: FNG Introductions

my story is similar ..I wanted a model 4 1200 or up tail dragger..rotax 912..if a model 5 or up it had to be registered LSA..took me awhile but finally found one,,went and test flew it bought it flew it home..a model 5 outback , I put the wheel pants on and new tires,,it had 800's on it and I changed out the panel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

G2em3 welcome to the forum. I see you are in Beavercreek, right around the corner from where I keep my Kitfox SS7 at Fairways airport. Could almost throw a rock and hit your house. Airfox (Scott) also keeps his SS7 at Fairways so you have 2 of us nearby for assistance. There is a 3rd Kitfox SS7 (Floog) based at Pearson airport, so there actually 3 of us in the Portland area who just finished our builds in the last year or so and are now flying.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I've been doing what most people do when they build an airplane - buy components as you can afford them.

Desert Fox is correct, try to pay for shipping on the large components (read that as wings and fuselage) once if you can. I'm not sure what charges would be incurred with shipping the landing gear separately. Pretty much everything else can come when you need it.

Other than that, I think I might be running with a bad crowd that is taking me away from the minimalist category (fuel injection, not using the fabric that comes with the kit, recently bought a heated pitot tube, etc.) and I haven't even bought avionics yet.

The best way that I managed to convince my wife that this was a good idea was to include her hobby in it. She is a biologist that loves nature photography and enjoys camping, so selling a Kitfox to here was pretty easy. The parking outside thing is still a sore subject, but at least we only live in Wisconsin, not Boston.

I wish you luck.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

I'll have to look you up Jim Ott.

This is the grass airport with the white hangers next to the golf course?

How much per month to park in the hanger?

Ed,

Welcome aboard!

I am located in Hood River and I'm currently building a SS7 with my dad. Just finishing up the finishing tapes on the fuselage, then onto spraying the various coats. No wings as of yet, or the engine, prop, and avionics. Like you, the $$ wasn't immediately available purchase everything outright so we are just picking up the necessary items as we go along.

Many people will tell you it's cheaper to just go out and purchase one already completed, however, I'm sure nothing can compare to the accomplishment of building your own flying machine.

Anyways, give me a shout if you find yourself out in the gorge and would like to take a look and what we have going so far.

Dustin
    Dustin
    915is/AP430 powered Kitfox SS7

g2em3, Yes its the airport right next to the golf course and near Oregon City High School. Hangars are $140/month but they are nothing to shout about; some roof leaks, some buildings not very secure.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Heja Ed,

As a fellow #ng welcome aboard, lol (np with me)

I concur with all the advise given. I'll add my own 2cw

In my case, I wasn't even looking tbo, just never thought I could find one or pay for one with the way things were. Found it through a friend who new the guy in a town 20 minutes from my home!
    Once I saw it It rekindled the dream like a bonfire. Had to sell some toy's and promise the wife all sorts of stuff...
    Bottom line is I scraped up the 10k that I needed to start on my dream.
    It will take a while to finish it and it won't be easy but it will get done.

My point is - You can find it and you can make it happen - just do it sooner than later.
    You only have so much time in your life account.

Just one more point. If your plane is done well, most of the money is not being thrown away. If you shop around and buy smart you will recoup a decent percentage of it when it's time to say goodbye.

You'll never recoup your labor so just forget it!

Fair winds Ed, best of luck!!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Welcome to the group from a F.O.G., that kind of fits as we get older our memory can be a bit FOGgy!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas