Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Can you fill over fabric?

Default Can you fill over fabric?

I have a laker leading edge, and when I covered and heated up the polyfiber to 350 degrees, I got a small ~1/16" deep x 1/2" wide x 4" max indent on the leading edge. It appears the laker leading edge may have been thin and collapsed in this area??? It is actually hard to see, but it is very easy to feel. It is also very solid (doesn't feel soft when you push on it).

My question is, what is the best procedure to fix? Can I fill this area and put the leading edge tape over it and call it good? If so, what filler should I use over the polyfiber cloth? Do I poly brush it first, or after the filler? Or do I need to remove all the covering, repair, and re-cover? It is still very strong and only is affecting aesthetics at this point.....

Thoughts? Thanks!
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Default Re: Can you fill over fabric?

Mike,
    I've Don a lot of fiberglass work and though I think it might work to use a little micro there, I personally have never added any filler that didn't need some sanding. In my hands there would be a real possibility of making it worse. Then I would be in real trouble.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I think if it were mine I would give the fabric one coat of Polybrush to fill the weave. Then I would use the Polyfiber Super-Fill to carefully fill in the indent, feathering it out so very little sanding is necessary. The Super-Fill is nice to work with and can be easily applied and feathered. For any final sanding (it sands very easily) be extremely careful not to touch the fabric with the sandpaper. Use masking tape or some way of protecting the fabric from being scratched by the sandpaper. Even very small scratches in the fabric will weaken it substantially.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I had a similar situation. Although I don't have the laker leading edge, I put a small heat dent in the plastic leading edge. I used super-fil like Jim said, then poly-brushed, then then finish tape on leading edge. Worked. As mentioned, smooth very well so minimal sanding is needed. I use alcohol on my finger to smooth super-fil before it cures. Ken