Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Intercostals question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Intercostals question

Tjay, I attended a Polyfibre seminar about 20 years ago right after I bought my kitfox kit. He was from the polyfibre factory. The first thing he said when he began was, You Kitfox guys. You can bend your airframe if you shrink to 300...maybe it was 350 degrees, whatever the maximum is.

His instructions were to start low 200 or 250 and shrink the whole thing. Then increase by about 25 degree increments with a helper holding a straight edge on the tubing and shrink it all again. If you see a tube start to pull away from the straight edge, stop right there.

Mine is a Classic 4. My kit included intercostals for the horizontal stab only. I saw all these fancy Kitfox tails on the internet so called the factory and asked why my kit didn't have intercostals for the rest of the tail. He said it's just for looks, Your plane will fly just fine without them.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

On my SS7 I shrunk to 350 on everything and had no structural deformation. In some areas where I was concerned I used the straight edge method to check and make sure.
    The earlier models may be an entirely different story.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I decided to spend my Saturday building them. I wasn't going to install any but I really wanted the look of the newer planes. I think it should look nice,I still have to do the elevator but that's for a different day. Im not to worried about the weight since I have a heavy E gearbox way up front. Thanks for the input guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Make sure you stiffen any of those ribs that are not glued directly to a steel member, especially on the elevator. Otherwise they will deform into an "S" shape when you shrink. A 1/2" wide piece of ply glued perpendicular to the rib (as the build manual says) is required.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for the tip I will do that.