Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: How many Kitfox's flying currently?

Default How many Kitfox's flying currently?

I'm wondering if anyone know's how many Kitfox are completed and flying to date? What a great airplane and fun to fly!
    Dan G.
    Model IV 1200 - Tri-gear
    Jabiru 2200
    Flying

Default Re: How many Kitfox's flying currently?

If you go to the FAA website, and type in Kitfox in make and model, it shows 1649. Those are planes that have been issued an N number. Not all of them are flying. On the other hand, maybe not all Kitfoxes will show up if you just type in Kitfox. For various reasons, they might be called something else. I'm sure a lot more kits were sold than the 1649 number, but a lot of them are still sitting unfinished and unregistered sometimes 20 years later. I know, I have an ufinished 4 that was bought in 1994. Maybe when I finish the Avid rebuild and the other 4 I got last summer, I'll get back to it. My wife would maybe say I should have an auction......Jim Chuk

I thought I heard that over 4000 have been completed and are or were flying.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

You can't rely at all on the FAA database. Since it's experimental, it's your creation and anything is allowed. I registered my Zenith and my Deuce as my name.

Run the registry using "Treat" and you will see my two planes. I don't think model will work either since that is all over the board as well and can also be whatever you want.

And don't forget there is a world outside the USA!
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

"My wife would maybe say I should have an auction......Jim Chuk"

Jim... when I asked about buying another Kitfox kit (and the one I am working on is not yet finished) my wife's response was "Not with THIS wife you arn't"

Pretty much the final answer!
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

That was funny Grover! All my wife keeps saying is "When do I get MY garage back? I don't think she is going to let me go another winter hogging the garage.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

When my wife approved my kit order, she had on stipulation. "You have to sell your other plane". I told her I would sell it after I finish the kitfox because I need to stay current while I build.

She also asked how many planes I was going to build. She's a keeper.

Hey, don't talk about garages so loud...

I haven't had a car in a garage for so long that my wife doesn't even remember that we used to park in there at one time. I've convinced her it is good therapy when I'm stressed to go out to my "shop" and putz around with one of my projects, so I have a Kitfox 4 recover project on one side, and a nearly done Highlander project on the other side. She asked why I need one on each side and I told her it's better for my mental health to have some variety

She tells my buddies she'd be really happy if I could just get by with three or four airplanes. So she's most definitely a keeper too!

Thanks for all your responses!
    I agree, we have to keep the wive's on board with us. My wife has shared a garage space with my Kitfox for the last 4 months and she has been great about it. She knows my need to get high!
    Dan G.
    Model IV 1200 - Tri-gear
    Jabiru 2200
    Flying