Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuel cap Fairing

Default Fuel cap Fairing

Anyone else out there use the fuel cap fairings that Kitfox has in there catalog? And if there was any performance increase, or decrease? I have some on hand and was wondering if they are worth the trouble to mount? I think they have to have the poly fiber epoxy primer sprayed on before painting, is this correct? Same with any other composite parts such as wing tips, flaperon tips, etc?

Thanks in advance,
    Eric
    Eric Losch
    Building Super Sport
    Taildragger

Default Re: Fuel cap Fairing

I think the big advantage is the faring reduces the vacum on the fuel cap. I still need to mount mine. You don't have to install them before you paint.

I think they look nice. Not sure of any measurable performance increase.

I completely finish painted mine, then mounted them on top of the finish painted wing using Hysol. Quite easy to do.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have always used urethane primer on fiberglass parts. If you already have the epoxy primer that would work fine. My first recollection of the fairings was in a video once posted by a guy that tufted the top of his wing to see what happend during stall. The fuel cap results in a surprisingly wide V shaped disturbance in that area. The fairing was developed as a result of that observation And improves that disturbance a lot. I am not aware of any numbers relating to performance. Whether it is a truly functional mod or purely cosmetic in my memory is yet to be reported.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks guys!
    Eric Losch
    Building Super Sport
    Taildragger