Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: TubeSeal from polyfiber

Default TubeSeal from polyfiber

Hi guy's...before covering,i think it was a good thing to do....with different way to protect the inside of all steel tube on frame...a lot of guy's here in Québec use tube seal in restoration like old cub...they make a little hole on each tube and shoot the tubeseal and close the hole with (rivet or welding)

Do you (kitfox builder) ever use that on a kitfox...do you think Master John Mcbean use that ..

Thank's

Default Re: TubeSeal from polyfiber

JF,

It is unlikely that many kitfoxes have had tube seal used in their construction. If it is appropriate or not is pretty much up to the builder.

Few Kitfoxes are left to sit out in the rain and snow,. Since we take pretty good care of them the risk of corrosion is a lot less. Good welding, powdercoating & paint pretty well seal up the tubing in the first place so moisture doesn't get inside.

I am guessing not many do this to a Kitfox.

The product of choice in days gone by was linseed oil...some still use it in rebuilding tube & fabric airplanes - but the old planes did not have as good of paint or coating as we have today.. Not so common now. A person has to be careful with linseed oil rags - an individual left some in a garbage pail overnight (only 14-16 hours) at a local airport and burned up several T hangars and 5 planes - people have forgotten about that characteristic due to the lack of use - it used to be everyone knew that.

I have no idea how the poly fiber product compares to the old standard.

I do know of a kitfox builder who sloshed linseed oil inside the lift strut tubes.....these are not completely sealed due to the threading on the top and the seam on the bottom tab.....(which means when the person put the linseed oil in - it dripped out of both ends).

Sincerely,

Dave S

Default Re: TubeSeal from polyfiber

Thank's Dave...it is this kind of anwser i want to read
    But this is an good idea for lift strut and stab struts...because when i remove the stab strut some water came out...and is in dry place(my shop ) since 2010

Jf