Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ADS-B Out

Default Re: ADS-B Out

IFLY has a new system coming out..and it is ADS-B AHRS compatible..they offer a package now with the 720..I'm waiting for the 740 package,..should be out in a couple months..new GPS and ADS-B with AHRS , then I will just need the 406
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

here I sit thinking. when are we going to use ads-b. isn't it just an extension of mode c. that means the only time you need it is if you do flight following or go into an airport that needs a transponder or flight following. for many of us flying kitfox, we generally have just a hand held radio. so ads-b should not effect most of us. am I correct. class e, g, and d doesn't need this.

now flying through Montana is going to be the same, below 12000 ft all this is still going to be useless. am I correct there also. at least when I went to osh in my rv that was true. as soon as I dropped below 12k I was done. I know the coverage is getting better, but in the mountains???

I do most of my flying now within 50 miles and I avoid class c airspace in both airplanes, so why do I need a transponder? from what I understand ads-b has your signature and it lets radar know who you are. and if you get all the equipment, big bucks right now, you can see all the airplanes and info on them out there. that is all that is changing, plus you are suppose to get free weather, if you pay the bucks. am I right.

I'm thinking, just keep it simple and let the big birds have the system. I'll fly out the window and have my tunes on and have fun. like flying is suppose to be.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 02-12-2015 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    here I sit thinking. when are we going to use ads-b. isn't it just an extension of mode c. that means the only time you need it is if you do flight following or go into an airport that needs a transponder or flight following. for many of us flying kitfox, we generally have just a hand held radio. so ads-b should not effect most of us. am I correct. class e, g, and d doesn't need this.

now flying through Montana is going to be the same, below 12000 ft all this is still going to be useless. am I correct there also. at least when I went to osh in my rv that was true. as soon as I dropped below 12k I was done. I know the coverage is getting better, but in the mountains???

I do most of my flying now within 50 miles and I avoid class c airspace in both airplanes, so why do I need a transponder? from what I understand ads-b has your signature and it lets radar know who you are. and if you get all the equipment, big bucks right now, you can see all the airplanes and info on them out there. that is all that is changing, plus you are suppose to get free weather, if you pay the bucks. am I right.

I'm thinking, just keep it simple and let the big birds have the system. I'll fly out the window and have my tunes on and have fun. like flying is suppose to be.
    Yes, but some of us fly in an environment full of mode C veils.

Affordable ads-b will be very important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Waid View Post
    Yes, but some of us fly in an environment full of mode C veils.

Affordable ads-b will be very important to me.
    How very true, Tom. Also, if you want to limit your options and don't have a desire to travel across this great country in your airplane, or go up through Canada to Alaska, or go across the ocean to the Bahamas, or go to Oshkosh by whatever route you choose, then you don't have to play the game. I respect that. However, many of us can't leave our home airports without mode C now. Times change. The "system" includes a huge percentage of the airspace and the "little guys" too... that's just the way it is.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

when I went to osh back in 2013 I didn't use the transponder but once, I think I chose to go into a class c airport, didn't need to. on the way back(over Montana) I went vfr above the clouds for about 300 miles, my wife felt better about going all the way up to 13k and that was the only time I could get flight following, again helped the wife cause we were talking to someone. other than that I could have done the whole trip without the transponder. So for me I think it is not needed. as far as seeing the us. my wife has ra. which is arthritis and she is no longer wanting to fly. so I bought her an rv, land based vehicle and she now prefers that. I can see where many of you want to use the system. mode c vails and such and flight following. I never used it. seattle well that is the only area and the weather isn't so favorable for vfr over there very often so I don't go there. Spokane, nice vfr and good flying.

I will always keep the kitfox simple, rv maybe. not with the current cost. lets see what 5 years does. I'm thinking a bunch.

I fly in the Chicago area, Mode-C is simply a way of life for me, so unless
    I want to be VERY limited where I can go, I have to have it. Which means I
    have to have ADS-B Out as well. However at $5K ... I'm waiting for better
    options.

Jeff

absolutely. like I said, a lot can happen in 5 years.

I'm thinking between dynon and garmin, there will be a bunch of options available by then. I think it was mentioned that ifly is coming out with something. I think holding out is the key right now.

Don't take anything I say for gospel, but I was just reading up on the new version 12 software upgrade (free) for the Dynon Skyview system. They are in process of also upgrading their software (also free) for their mode S transponder package that interfaces with the Skyview WAAS GPS. It kind of sounded like that upgrade will make the Dynon transponder compatible with the 2020 ADS-B out mandate. The only other piece of the puzzle is an acceptable WAAS enabled GPS to talk to the transponder. Until now, this GPS had to be a TSO'd unit which the Skyview GPS is not. But if Tom Waid's information is true, then the Skyview GPS should be compatible with the mandate, since it already talks to the transponder and is a high quality WAAS unit. So maybe those of us with the Skyview system and mode S transponder will be able to skate into the 2020 ADS-B out mandate for no extra bucks. Woo-Hoo! I hope I am not all wet on this.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I don't think I'll be flying to the states too much after 2020...

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    I don't think I'll be flying to the states too much after 2020...
    I believe Canada will require ADS-B equipment in larger/heavier & faster aircraft before the U.S. deadline. I wouldn't be too surprised if it becomes a requirement for smaller aircraft also sometime in the not too distant future. Plus, you have the 12" registration number requirement that includes homebuilts, no hand guns allowed, etc... or am I wrong? (It wouldn't be the first time!) I know there is a lot of "bending of the rules" that occurs, but it seems that many of the new rules, regulations, & standards that come about in the U.S. in recent years are due to bureaucrats & regulators trying to copy & be just like the rest of the world, including possibly Canada. At least it sometimes seems that way.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime