Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Piloting from the right seat

Default Re: Piloting from the right seat

I don't think it's quite that dramatic. The more accurate analogy is steering a car with either hand; something we do every day.

I had never flow a Stick prior to getting a Kitfox, I purchased mine, went up with John for an hour or so and then started flying it. It actually was pretty easy to get use to. Breaking some of my old BAD habits like landing too fast has been harder than getting use to using my left hand to Take Off & Land.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
    I don't think it's quite that dramatic. The more accurate analogy is steering a car with either hand; something we do every day.
    I disagree. Most of us are creatures of habit, and develop our automatic motor skill responses from habit. And since flying light aircraft like a Kitfox can require quick reflexes sometimes, especially in an emergency situation where you have little to no time to think, you may need to rely on your automatic response.

My opinion on this is based on having an engine failure 75 ft off the ground with most of the short runway behind me, in an unfamiliar aircraft being flown with stick in right, throttle in left when I was used to regularly flying both of my own aircraft with stick in left and throttle in right. Oh, and fwiw I learned to fly in a J-3 Cub, and later had learned to fly a Pitts S2. So I did have some experience switching "sides", but hadn't done so in the previous 5 yrs to that incident.

To better explain my point, how about comparing flying on the right to driving a stick shift car in England when you grew up driving in America? Millions have obviously done that successfully. But since I have three people around me today that have gone to England, I asked them how they felt about driving a car from the right side? Consensus was it freaked them out for at least the first few days, and were just happy they didn't have a wreck in heavy traffic. I asked if any of them had driven a standard transmission while there? Nope, all were automatics. And the one that drives a standard transmission VW here in America replied by saying "God no! That would have been really nuts".

And honestly, even that comparison is not accurate as we all know that flying a Kitfox (or any plane for that matter) is a lot more difficult than driving a car.

So I think it is a dis-service to tell our pilot friends here wondering about flying from the right side that it is no more difficult than steering your car with your other hand. After all, who doesn't occasionally steer a car with either hand? That in my opinion is not even close to an accurate comparison.

And yes, there are those like you that are very fortunate and can adapt to things like that easily. But that's not the norm. Those that can write, golf, bat, shoot pool, throw a football, play tennis, etc, etc, equally well with either hand I'm sure would adapt quicker. But how many of us are ambidextrous? Most people can't comb their own hair or brush their teeth with their other hand.

So I see no harm in telling people to get comfortable in the right seat by having another pilot fly with them? That's all I'm saying.

A fail-safe is not only a good idea, I feel it is mandatory.

FWIW, I don't intend to try it....
    Lou
    KitFox II