Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kitfox model 2 weight and balance

Default Re: Kitfox model 2 weight and balance

Max aft and max forward are the limits that the CG must Stay between when the plane is flown.

For the model 1 through model 3 these limits are:
    Max aft limit is 28% of the wing cord (51"). .28 X 51 = 14.28"
    Max forward limit is 20% of the wing cord. .20 X 51 = 10.2"

Most adverse forward and most adverse aft are actual CG locations with loads you expect to fly the plane with.

There is an EAA "Hints for home builders" video that explains it in an easy to understand format. I'll see if I can find it and post a link.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Okay here's the link to the video on how to calculate the empty CG. You will notice he used the nose of the airplane as the datum. That was so he didn't have to deal with negative numbers.

You should use the wing leading edge as your datum so it will be the same as all other kitfoxes and you can also use the spread sheets for nose wheel planes on the kitfox factory page.

You can easily modify the Model 4 spread sheet and enter your CG limits and headings and such. Those don't affect the calculations if you want to go ahead and play with it. Just remember your aft limit is 14.28" not 16".

Remember to put a negative (-) sign in front of the nose wheel arm. Also, if you later want to do some "What if calculations" for altering anything forward of the wing leading edge. Such as installing a different prop or engine.

Start with this video then scroll down under it and you will find the rest of em.

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=2895768031001
    Last edited by t j; 01-21-2015 at 08:49 PM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Way to drop the knowledge Tom. That is what I was looking for. All of you have been great. Again thanks Lou for the copies, and everyone who commented.

Here's the video on how to get the measurements of arms.
    http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=2874081572001
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks for the education Tom!
    Last edited by KFfan; 01-22-2015 at 06:08 AM.
    Lou
    KitFox II

Great information posted. To the original question on weight and balance on the rebuild... If the aircraft was previously registered, the FAA has a file with all the documents submitted at the time the original air worthiness certificate was issued. If you contact Oklahoma City or your local FSDO you may be able to get a copy. I was lucky when I acquired my Kitfox, the Operating Limitations had been misplaced. A representative from the local FSDO was at our monthly EAA meeting, after talking to him, I sent him an email the next day as he recommended and he emailed back within a few days the entire file in .pdf format. The original W&B was included.
    Ralph