Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Matco brakes

Default Matco brakes

I'm going through a diddy trying to get credible brakes on my type III. The installation looks good, but all attempts at achieving a solid pedal after bleeding have been dismal.

I haven't done anything lately due to weather, but am assembling an little more "stuff" to get the job done. One item is a vacuum brake bleeder (Harbor Freight).

The squirt can method has not worked out due to the poor quality squirt cans out there. All the ones I've used introduces air into the brake system.

The reason for the post is to provide a little information that I have un-earthed and that is some really good trouble shooting information from MATCO. Anyone installing or troubleshooting these monsters, should avail themselves of this info.

Cheers,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Default Re: Matco brakes

I use a pressure pot for a paint spray gun. This is dedicated to airplane brakes only and works great. Some times you have to rotate the caliper to ensure that get all the air out. If you switch to a 1/8" brake line it can improve in breaking performance.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Gents, Finally success!!! A picture of the brake bleeder pump I used is attached. I think the key is that if you pump fluid through the system, it causes the fluid to foam. This arrangement pressurizes a vessel containing the fluid causing it to be forced out through the brake system.

Many of you have already discovered this, and you'd think after all the brakes I've bled in my lifetime, I'd come to the same conclusion. I hope this helps someone else.

The next thing is to go fly it and see how it works.

Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Gruby

Kind of low tech, but I use a cleaned out mustard bottle. Cut the tip so I could just barely push a piece of 3/16" ( I think) hose into it that fits snug on the bleeder fitting. With brake fluid in the bottle, tip up side down, squeeze fluid into the hose and fit onto bleeder. Hold bottle upside down and get any air bubbles to go back into the bottle. Then loosen bleeder, and squeeze fluid into system to push any air in the line out the top. Hope that made sense the way I wrote it. Actually quite simple. I just wrapped rags around the master cylinder to catch any brake fluid that gets pushed out. Never did bleed brakes that have a separate resivoir. I suppose that bottle will overflow if you push in to much extra fluid. Jim Chuk

Hey Jim, that's a great solution to the problem. The secret is that the fluid has to be moved by pressure from the air in the container.

What I did to catch the excess fluid was to find a screw that would fit in the fill port on the master cylinder and drill a hole right through the center of it. I then slipped a piece of surgical tubing over the head of the screw and screwed it into the fill port. the other end of the tube when into a plastic bottle. As I would pump fluid up from the bleed port, the excess would go into the catch bottle. There was very little spillage. The screw was long enough that 1/4" protruded into the reservoir. When I was finished, I closed the bleed valve, and connected my pump (vacuum side) to the overflow hose and syphoned out the excess fluid out of the reservoir.

cheers,
    Chuck Gruby