Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh

Default Oshkosh

Hello all! Was wondering about people who fly into Oshkosh. How does refueling work ? Do they drive around and fill you up? Also do they have 91 oct? Just curious and looking ahead.

Patrick
    Series 6 -tri gear

Default Re: Oshkosh

Hi Patrick,
    They come around with a fuel truck, going up & down the rows of aircraft all week long. This is for 100LL. I don't believe that auto gas is available on the field, but I'm not sure. There are several small airports that make for good stops before you get to OSH. One of my favorites is Portage, WI. They do have self-serve auto fuel there. It's a good one if you're coming from the west. I like to have plenty of fuel on board before approaching OSH, but still top-off after arriving. I've flown my T-18 there from Denver 18 times since the early 90's, and there have been several years where I had to hold due to a problem on the field or traffic volume.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I stopped at Tri-Township Airport, Thomson, IL., going both ways, they have MoGas, and a nice runway. I stopped there because I knew the fuel would be pricy at Oshkosh. Yes, the FBO drives a truck up and down the lines seeing if anyone needed fuel, I wasn’t at or near my plane any of the times they drove by, so I ended up having to call the FBO and ask them to make a stop for fuel. Although they only put in about 5 or 6 Gallons. Next time I’m just going to fuel up at Portage, WI. on the way up, and after departing Oshkosh. Thanks John Evens. Portage and Tri-Township both show they have MoGas and Portage is a lot closer to Oshkosh only 45 miles to Oshkosh, I will only burn 2.5 Gallons after the fill up at Portage. With that little out of the Tanks, I’d check the fuel before I left to make sure no one borrowed any, and I would just leave Oshkosh, and Fly to Portage to Top Off the Tanks, saving about $1.57 per Gallon at Oshkosh.

KSFY - Tri-Township AirportSavanna, Illinois to KOSH - Wittman Regional Airport, Oshkosh, Wisconsin is a 134 Miles
    C47 - Portage Municipal Airport, Portage, Wisconsin to KOSH - Wittman Regional Airport, Oshkosh, Wisconsin is a 47 Miles

In checking todays fuel Prices, Portage is even cheaper than Tri-Township, almost $0.71 cheaper.
    KOSH - Wittman Regional Airport, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, 100LL $5.49
    http://www.airnav.com/airport/OSH
    C47 - Portage Municipal Airport, Portage, Wisconsin, Mogas $3.91
    http://www.airnav.com/airport/C47
    KSFY - Tri-Township AirportSavanna, Illinois, Mogas $4.62
    http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSFY

I guess I'm starting my Flight Plan today so I don't forget about Portage!
    Last edited by Paul Z; 01-12-2015 at 11:51 AM. Reason: I guess I'm starting my Flight Plan today so I don't forget about Portage!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Looking at the flight plan it trims a significant distance off of the last stop, and it puts you in a straight line for lining up for the ducks in a row to Ripon. The far south waypoint is KSFY - Tri-Township Airport, the way point south west of Oshkosh is C47 - Portage Municipal. Just a short hop to Oshkosh spend the week and no need for their expensive fuel!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

To get fuel on the field is easy, but only 100LL is available.

You can fuel autogas down at the ultralight area, but you need a can. We camp down there every year, so if you need a can, I can help. However, you need to land on the UL field to take advantage of their fuel shed.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

You can fuel up just before take off on departure day. Fuel trucks are parked near the departure runways when the field is open.

Getting avgas at OSH Is never a problem. As mentioned, it is a bit pricey. Portage is a good stop for cheap fuel in and outbound and they have mogas.

We stopped in Madison when one of the flight had a bad mag and we got great service along with a good lunch. Sometimes the extra 10 to 15 bucks is worth it for the service and amenities.

John

Coming from Canada, I thought the fuel was cheap enough. $6.81 I think I paid for a gallon at Oshkosh. I cleared in Duluth and theirs was $6.50 something but I found Mo east of Duluth at $3.90.

Either way for getting fuel at Oshkosh you grab a tag that hangs off your prop and you put on how much of what you want. You get an invoice in the mail or you can take the receipt part of the tag after they fuel you and pay on the field for a discount...or something like that. It is a little fuzzy. If you need fuel Thursday, put the tag on Wednesday morning.

Yes it was around $6.80. I didn't know about hanging a tag to get fuel.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

You always have to fill out a tag, but I have always gotten one from the fuel truck driver, filled it out then, and then filled my own tanks. I just keep my eyes open for the truck when I'm around the airplane, and then flag him down. It's usually very easy during the couple of days before the show actually starts. I then go over to one of their booths & pay sometime during the week. I'm pretty fussy and have always filled my own tanks... I've NEVER had a line boy or fuel truck driver do it in 25 years of flying my first homebuilt. There are just too many careless &/or incompetent people nowadays, even to accomplish such a simple task, and it's too important & critical to me.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I filled out a tag after I called the FBO, I got a tag from the truck driver. Where do you get them prior to the truck driving by?
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas