Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hysol 9460 Application Temperature

Default Hysol 9460 Application Temperature

My garage is about 55F. Can I bond with the Hysol 9460 at this temperature? I find nothing in the application notes about this - except many references to room temperature. I guess some rooms are at 55F???

Thanks

Tom

Default Re: Hysol 9460 Application Temperature

The cure time is listed at 25 degrees C and is expedited with heat. If it is cooler it will take longer to cure, but I don't think 55 degrees would prevent it from curing, it will just take longer. Can you move the parts you are using the Hysol in a warmer room, heat your garage or put a heat lamp on the spot(s)?

Have you tried a search for the technical data sheet for Hysol? I found this with a quick search.

Cure
    1. Complete cure is obtained after 72 hours @ 25C. LOCTITE Hysol 9460TM can also be fully cured with heat such as; 6 to 8 hours at a maximum temperature of 149 °C.
    2. After 24 hours, approximately 90% of full cure properties are attained at room temperature.
    3. Other times and temperatures (149°C is a suggested maximum) can be used depending on the application.
    4. Heat cures can be modified to achieve a desired degree of cure from handling strength to full cure.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

There are a couple of old threads on this if you search hysol. I only apply it above 50 but my hanger gets cold at night and I haven't seen any cure issues yet.

Just remember that the Hysol expires below 7C (45F)

Thanks for the input. I will bond if temp is above 55F.
    Tom