Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad day

Default Bad day

I had a bad day at the airport last week. The man I share a hanger with, gave the key to an A&P to work on his plane. When I went out I found my door open, which I never leave open. I got in and found the master switch was left on, battery dead. I pulled the battery, took it home to recharge. I went back to install the battery, and go fly and I got this message on my Advanced Flight 3500 system. I called Advanced Flight it seems as if they believe it killed the AHRS Communications Card. I need to pull it and get it repaired for about $1000, or get an Advanced Flight 5600 or 5800 upgrade. I like the synthetic vision, and the maps, but it's not cheap. 😂 😃 😡 😉
    I was thinking of upgrading, and making it 2020 compliant. My IA is more than willing to do the upgrade. I was thinking AF 5600 or AF 5800, AF ADSB, AF Mode S Teansponder. Any recommendations?

Ahh finally the right picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Z; 01-11-2015 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Ahh finally the right picture
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Default Re: Bad day

Truthfully I need to work with John on allowable upgrades. He said upgrading to anything Thais is an existing SLSA is good.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Cheez, I'm sorry you had such misery. And to think I get upset when my whiskey compass is out of calibration.

Cheers,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Is there no way to do a simple "reboot" of this system ?
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Paul,
    Sorry to read your posting. How long will this keep you out of the air? Any chance you can fly over this way?
    Ray
    Kitfox V Lycoming YO-233

Sorry to hear Paul. I think I would be having a conversation with the hanger partner or mechanic that was snooping.
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

Here is what the 5600 looks like. Good luck on your upgrade.
    20150112_152021.jpg

I've flown behind a 5600 & a 5800, I flew both of Stick & Rudders airplanes, one has a AF 5600, and the other has an AF 5800. I really like the 5800, big font for bad eyes, synthetic vision, VFR maps, better more graphic displays, and BIGGER fonts for the eyes.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Ya know, that's a really poor vendor response and incredible to me that having a battery go flat would destroy their card. Then $1000 for a repair on a comm card? I sure wouldn't be happy to have to spend any more money with that vendor.

I hope you might escalate the issue and find a more reasonable fix.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    Ya know, that's a really poor vendor response and incredible to me that having a battery go flat would destroy their card. Then $1000 for a repair on a comm card? I sure wouldn't be happy to have to spend any more money with that vendor.

I hope you might escalate the issue and find a more reasonable fix.
    I wouldn't say poor Vendor Response, they offered quick turn around, and I talked about an upgrade and they are willing to give an exceptional discount on the price for a trade in. I should have locked the doors. I just need to decide which system I want, and what to do about the ADS-B 2020 requirement.

I plan on having my IA add an airshow switch to cut the power.
    Last edited by Paul Z; 01-12-2015 at 07:37 PM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas