Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arizona, Kitfox, GoPro

Default Re: Arizona, Kitfox, GoPro

Paul,
    You could mount a full sized cinema camera on that thing, plus hang a couple rifle scabbards and a pair of snow shoes (maybe a lawn chair, too).
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I minimized the amount of labor. I took a piece of 1/4" X 2" X 10 inches long aluminum & 1/4" X 2" X 2" X 2 .5 inches long aluminum angle, JB Weld epoxy, 4 rivets & 3 Adele clamps, no welding required. I will probably bore a few large lightening holes, but I just wanted to make it work, then I will modify. I had it too far back at first, so I re-drilled the mounting holes, so it is a little further out so the camera has a little more Clearance. I took some photo's as I flew but like an idiot I deleted every last one of them. I was trying to figure out how to turn it on & off etc., and how to use the iPad App worked. Here is another picture from the other side.

Now here is the airplane side story (that most people normally don't talk about ) to installing the GoPro Mount:
    As I was testing it, as I climbed out right as I was turning Cross Wind started hearing a banging from the engine area. Now everyone realize, I wear ANR headsets and I am very hard of hearing. So it must have been LOUD. I called the tower and said I wanted to make an immediate Emergency landing to figure out what was banging. He cleared me to land with the wind. I killed the engine, once I killed the engine the noise stopped. I did a dead stick landing about mid field. As I rolled out from my landing the Tower called and said now that was a nice landing. I started her up again, no noise, pulled up to the FBO got out of the plane and found that the Reiff Heater plug had broken loose hanging out of the back of the cowling, and was banging on the firewall at the turn under heat shield under the fuselage. I shook my leg to Clean out my pants, got back in the plane, started it up, called ground control for clearance to taxi to the hanger. Just as soon as I ask for clearance, she said did you figure out what the problem was, and I had to admit what happened. Damned that was embarrassing! So off to the hanger to pull the cowling and fix tie wrap the cord in place. I also decided it was time to fix my Advanced Flight System so it got pulled as well. We have had crappy weather lately so ok with me to be grounded a few days. I'm also going to order a hard mount type of Male Connector used in RV's to plug the Extension cord in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by SkySteve View Post
    Paul,
    You could mount a full sized cinema camera on that thing, plus hang a couple rifle scabbards and a pair of snow shoes (maybe a lawn chair, too).
    The lawn chair would cause too much drag, and what the devil do I need Snow shoes for, I live in Tejas. Now a gun scabbard is a good idea.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

you good story out of it anyway.cool head to kill the engine

I can say I turned off the engine, but I'll admit I was anything but cool about it. I'm surprise, that as nervous as I was, I was even able to do a decent landing. The one thing that helped was I watched a you tube video of a man doing a emergency landing after engine out. He took off cut the engine to idle, did a 180 turn, and safely landed with the wind. I figured if he could I could. When I declared an emergency, the tower asked the other 2 pilots in pattern I had an Emergency, and he cleared me to land wherever I felt was comfortable. Before he even cleared me I had started my time turn, and was lining up for the middle of the runway, just in front of the tire. One othe plane was approaching and he also informed him he would be waiting for an emergency. I would recommend to everyone to watch that you tube video. I'll have to find it and post it later.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Wow! Great save, Paul. I took a friend for a ride once and got in a hurry during pre-flight. I had a paper towel in my hand which I used to wipe an oil drip off the bottom of the front cowl. As I got up I stuffed the towel into the bottom of the front cowl while answering a question and planned to grab it later, which I promptly forgot to do. Just after lift off I smelled something hot and oily and then remembered the paper towel. Called tower and said I needed to set the plane down, which I had already started to do. He cleared me just as I landed and darted off the next taxiway to the ramp. Jumped out without saying anything to my passenger and pulled the scorched paper towel from its hiding place. I was pretty embarrassed when I climbed back into the plane as the tower was calling me to ask if I was OK. had to explain what happened to the tower in front of my new passenger. Not a great day. LOL.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I've been using the cloud based engineering GoPro mount on the struts of my SuperSport. It has held up well and I leave it attached. I don't get the jello effect when I use it. I have tried to build something similar but this is better.
    https://www.cloudbaseengineering.com/
    Bob
    S-7 Super Sport, Flying
    Phoenix,AZ

I have to admit that these videos of flying a KF in the rugged west is what drove me to the KF airframe.
    I will be in the Tucson area for a couple weeks in january. Anyone willing to take a IN flatlander out for a thrill of a lifetime???

Regards
    Jeff

Jeff, I'm up in Phoenix but if you'll P.M. or email your contact info and dates you will be in Tucson, I may be able to accomodate.

Mine is a model 4 with a Rotax 912 S 100 hp.

Maybe we could meet at the Marana airport just N.W. of Tucson.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Shoot dang yeah! I should be there 2nd or 3rd week of Jan. Will keep you posted. Expecting a 2 week stay. I work the 747-200 flying test bed that's based at TUS. Might be a busy year in Tucson...
    Regards
    Jeff