Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flapperon Freeness

Default Flapperon Freeness

After drilling and clecoing my Flapperon brackets on to the wings, I have one wing that the flapperon is very free and one wing where the flapperon is a little tighter. It still falls back down on its own unless i lift it up way past the point of maximum deflection but it is not as lose as the other one.

Is this something I should chase down before going further? Or will the bearings wear in a little after some use? Should I try shooting some LPS one into the hinges?

Default Re: Flapperon Freeness

I'd go for the LPS. I recently did it on an annual and could feel the difference.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Esser,

Go with the LPS...I'd shoot one bearing at a time and try it.....that will help locating the offending unit. Often with this kind of thing one of the bearings is cocked slightly putting the asembly in a bind. If you find one slightly out of alignment - easy enought to loosten the attach bolts for that one and fiddle with it to bring it into alignment.
    Dave S

LPS comes in several formulas. Get LPS 1 for all your control rod bearings and flapperon bearings. It doesn't attract as much dirt.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

The final checklist (which happens to be the same checklist as for annual) says to lube the flaperon bearings before first flight. So you need to do this anyway. LPS1 is the preferred lubricant as DF4 says. Stick the little red plastic tube on the can right into two small holes on opposite sides of the flaperon bearing. Also make sure your hinge brackets are reasonably centered in the slots and not rubbing on the edges.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks everyone, I will give the LPS a shot. The bearings are fairly centre although on my LEFT wing (the one that has more freeness) I had to bend m one inboard hinge into a slight "S" shape to move it over. For some reason the number one rib was slightly too far out board.

Yea I had to do that also.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS