Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Tank Question

Default Another Tank Question

After looking at the past posts I did not find an answer to my question, so here goes. I am wondering with the model 7 tanks, do these need sloshed or just leave them alone? I believe at one point the build of the tanks was changed so do the model 7 tanks need anything done to them?

Default Re: Another Tank Question

My 7SS needed it's tanks sloshed. The mold release was clogging up the carbs, I had to have them both rebuilt, cost about $450. I would highly recommend it.
    Last edited by Paul Z; 12-29-2014 at 01:52 PM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Hi Bryan, my kitis a couple years old and it still needed to be sloshed. The sloshing has nothing to do with the new ethanol resistant tanks which I think is what you are thinking of. The sloshing we do on our new tanks is to make sure all the mold release agent they use in the manufacturing proccess is removed so that it doesn't dislodge later and plug fuel lines. Two people would be nice to do this job but I managed with just me. I used chewing gum to help plug my holes in a pinch but if you have time, you can find something better

I think some are confusing sloshing with rinsing. The new style tanks don't need to be sloshed, but definitely need to be rinsed, to remove the mold release agents.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Service Bulletin #60 from Kitfox applies to this question. It gives all the particulars and instructions on how to do the rinse.

Dick B

Nick is right. They need to be thoroughly rinsed - the manual suggests acetone I think. My experience was that I kept getting a lot of release agent after rinsing the tanks and pouring the rinse into the strainer. I think I posted a few photos on my Oz Build page of this stuff. After talking with JMc, i decided to use petrol to keep rinsing until i got minimal stuff in the strainer - the Acetone was too expensive to use in large quantities. For the last three rinses i used acetone until i got zero impurities. Just be patient - I get the impression that the tanks vary a fair bit in terms of how much release agent needs to be removed.

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I have had good luck rinsing with ethanol fuel. If you let the ethanol laced fuel sit in them over night it does a good job of getting the mold release out. I rinse with the acetone first.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

mine have a sticker on them that i think says to rinse in 50/50 auto fuel and acetone

Dumb question,why would mold release agent be inside the tanks???
    Maybe uncared resin?? From the looks of the old tanks anyway,it looks like the outside would have the mold release on it not the inside??

I will go look at SB 60, and maybe it will tell me this but I guess what models do not need sloshed? And thanks everyone for your advise.