Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do I need?

Default Re: What do I need?

I would say you got nearly all you need. Just start in on the build and see how it goes. If you really need something else it will become obvious. I did my whole build with only 2 sawhorses and one set of wing rotisseries and one small work bench with a vise. Borrowed a friend's band saw the couple of times I needed it. You will need lots of spring clamps and soft jaw bar clamps, but wait till you need them to get the right sizes. A couple of good C-clamps come in handy for pressing in bearings. The Dremel will be used a LOT. You will need a variety of hand files, even a small jewlers file.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I would add two things to your list, time and more money. Get ready you will find you need a lot more of both.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by chefwarthog View Post
    What I got:
    about all Hand tools....
    3 saw horse
    4 cordless drills
    3 electric drills 3/8 1/2 3/4
    90° angle drill
    90° angle impact
    2 corless impact
    1 multi cutting tool
    1 demel
    2 grinders 4½ and 6''
    1 hand riveter
    3 set of ratchet 1/4 3/8 1/2 imp, met
    1 set of Bi-Métal hole-saw from 9/16 to 6''
    3 sander orbital, vibrate, belt
    2 compressor 5G and 16 Gallons
    1 table saw 10''
    2 compound milter saw 12''

what I need:
    1 band saw
    1 Banch ossillating sander
    1 fluch riveter
    1 good paint gun... (I have a good one... Tipman Phenum, but it will make holes inthe fabric.... ;-)
    12'' Ratchet extention
    1 Rimer for the pivot hinge (dim ????)
    3 more saw-hores
    1 routisserie
    1 small refrigerator

do I miss some thing?

my garage is 24' x 32' so i can't let the wing unfold....
    but i have a nice concrete slab where a can work in summer.

You are more than set up enough to get started...you will get a good feel for what you are missing which I will say is not much. The band saw you will use so little that you can borrow a chums twice in the whole build. Obviously a a ratchet set too which I am sure you have.

24' X 32 is lots of room and more than I have by a long shot. You hardly need your wings on the fuse but it is nice to not have to suck in your gut to walk around everywhere.

You will find you need a small 3/8ths inch drive torque wrench with small adjustments. Lots of torquing in the 25 to 100 inch pound range. Mine goes up to 250 inch pounds and only one bolt on my airplane needs more...the AN7 tail wheel to spring nut. I guess the engine to engine Cradle bolts need more too but I have a 1/2 inch drive beam and needle style for the big work.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Is the tool kit sold buy KitFox at 375$ worth the price?
    is there enough Clecos?
    Which Iron is the best?
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

Hi eric,

I got the kit - it was pretty useful. Enough clecos - there was only once that I can remember when a few more might have been useful. I guess it was more the convenience of the kit than the tools being particularly difficult to source. As for the iron .... the little hobbie iron that came with the kit worked once and stopped - nothing inside I could see to fix so discarded. We used three different irons. We finally found one that was pretty good at holding the temp at the calibrated temps but none of them were brilliant. We managed ok though. Get yourself a laser thermometer but be wary of using it on a silver iron as it is inaccurate due to the reflection. Other useful item was a electronic tape measure. And I found a drum of MEK useful - cheap and very effective way of cleaning spray and glue gear rather than using reducers. and boxes of rubber gloves!

have fun

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

I think the tool kit sold by Kitfox was worth it. I doubt you could save much if anything by sourcing the items yourself, so the convenience was well worth it. You will need everything that comes in the kit. I did ask them to include some extra clecos, which I was glad I did ( extra 10 or 20 so I ended up with 50 each).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS