Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Settle An Argument....

Default Settle An Argument....

All right. Got in a HEATED discussion with my G5 copilot last week (I have 4 stripes, he has three, he loses. LOL) about this..... I want to hear all you old salts and young pups opinions....

If you only had ONE gauge or instrument, what would you choose?

I know my answer is without a doubt an oil pressure gauge. Everything else I can deduce from using my eyes, ears, hands and butt. Thoughts?

Denny -
    Do it right 10,000 times is good. But you only have to it wrong ONCE.

Default Re: Settle An Argument....

VFR- Oil pres.

IFR- speedometer -on my car driving home.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Ahhhhh, the first old salt chimed in. Lol. Speedo? Nah. Long as there's guys passing me, I'm not gonna get pulled over. 😉

I'll go with the compass. By the time the oil pressure tells you anything, the engine is usually toast anyhow. But if you have no idea which way is which in an area you're not too familiar with....

Fuel gage....
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Well first off, assuming because you are a Capt. you know everything over an FO because he has 3 stripes is a dangerous attitude and negates the purpose of two crew (Take Korean Air Flight 801 for example) but that is another discussion.

I can bet my bottom dollar that a attitude indicator has saved more lives than an oil pressure indicator so that is my answer.

If you are in IMC or inadvertently fly into IMC an oil pressure gauge gives you no useful information to stay alive. Your butt and your brain will not give you the information you need to stay upright.

As for the fuel gauge, My watch is my fuel gauge and it is definitely more accurate than any fuel gauge I have seen in a plane.

Fitch- I don't think we'll be much help in your argument.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by FitchUpNorth View Post
    All right. Got in a HEATED discussion with my G5 copilot last week (I have 4 stripes, he has three, he loses. LOL) about this..... I want to hear all you old salts and young pups opinions....

If you only had ONE gauge or instrument, what would you choose?

I know my answer is without a doubt an oil pressure gauge. Everything else I can deduce from using my eyes, ears, hands and butt. Thoughts?

Denny -
    Do it right 10,000 times is good. But you only have to it wrong ONCE.
    I'd take one instrument - my HUD! Other than that I'd take AOA (VFR) and ADI (IFR).

The one instrument I would pick would be an I pad loaded with I Fly. If limited to one gauge it would be a compass. Safely navigating to a LZ would be my priority. The eng will run for a considerable time with zero oil pressure.
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt.A View Post
    The one instrument I would pick would be an I pad loaded with I Fly. If limited to one gauge it would be a compass. Safely navigating to a LZ would be my priority. The eng will run for a considerable time with zero oil pressure.
    👍👍 two thumbs up never go without a back up, and an iPad is a great back up. However, oil pressure is my number one concer, I have my eyes, my gut, and piloting skills for airspeed, altemiter, etc.
    Last edited by Paul Z; 12-27-2014 at 10:34 PM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas