Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading my headset

Default Upgrading my headset

I'm thinking about upgrading my headset to noise canceling. I just got word of a webinar put on by Sennheiser about hearing preservation for pilots. I wear hearing aids and although it might be a little late for me, I'm sure there might be some good information to be learned. The webinar is on Wednesday between 8-9pm EST. The link is http://socialflight.enterthemeeting.com/m/KBKBQ99E if anyone else is interested. If nothing else, it's just another way of supporting general aviation.
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Default Re: Upgrading my headset

I wear hearing aids as well, I wouldn't fly without noise cancelation, I can hear the tower an all communications much clearer now! I definately will attend the Webinar.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Ref: Headsets

Guys,

I just got a new set of Bose 20 that so far in my Continental powered airplane do a great job. The sound that gets to my ears is very different than what I get with the Telex 50D I usually use. I think the Bose is a little quieter however we will see how it handles the higher frequencies of the Rotax (when I get it running). The Bose is the Blue Tooth model so I am able to make & receive phone calls through my Iphone while in the air. I also have a Sennheiser ANR that works fine however if you asked me today, I would vote for the Bose. I also got sucked in by their sales approach in that I am making monthly no interest payments AND I got a set of Bose speakers for my wife's craft room (so she can play music through her Iphone). My 2 cents.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Once you've gone ANR you'll never go back. I have Zulus Lightspeed PFX, if I had it to do over I would buy a set of Bose ANR headsets. I had mine a month they shut down in flight on my way up to Homedale Idaho once, and on my way home to Mesquite Texas twice. I sent them in for repairs and so far ok, but my longest flight since I got back my longest flight has been 2.5 hours. Also in 6 months the markings for the buttons is starting to rub off. Not very good quality in my opinion. They work well when they are on, but the workmanship is lacking. Thumbs up for ANRs , Thumbs down on Zulu Lightspeed PFX .
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I prefer the previous model Lightspeed Zulu 2. Have had them for 1.5 years now and they work great. No problems like Paul mentioned, and the battery life is about 40 hours, way longer than the PFX model.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

PFX Battery life is about 12 hours. I am thinking of a Trade Down to the Light Speed Zulu II
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I have heard of several people going back to the Zulu II. The new PFX has great performance, but it is not that much better than the II and its big clunky controller and short battery life are real disadvantages.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

You can't go wrong with a Bose. I use a QC15/UflyMike setup in the 737 and an A20 for GA.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    Once you've gone ANR you'll never go back. .
    I disagree, I feel that Clarity Aloft is the quietest and most comfortable headset out there. Bonus: No batteries

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Bose a20 gets my vote
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW