Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrading my headset

Default Re: Upgrading my headset

I HAD a set of Lightspeed PFX, they should rename the Lightspeed PFX to Lightspeed POS (Piece of S**t)! I flew from Dallas to Lubbock, I was getting some noise that was unbearable. I played around with my squelch on my intercom, turned down the volume to the point I could barely hear, because of the background noise. Finally I landed at an airport in route to Lubbock and took my PFXs (POS) off and got out my Lightspeed Zulu I. Plugged them in and magically I had absolutely no background noise, I flew back to Dallas and then on to Oklahoma City to visit the daughter with the Zulu-I.

As I said in a previous post, I had complained to Lightspeed about all of the problems with the Lightspeed PFX’s (POS). They agreed to swap me a new set of Light Speed Zulu IIs plus a pair a Lightspeed Sierra headsets to replace my PFX (POS). Every time I called they kept telling me how great the PFXs were, and everybody loves them. However, mine would keep shutting down in flight, the Blue Tooth Phone didn’t work, and then they started with the unbearable Static. The Lightspeed PFX were undoubtedly the worst set of headsets I have ever owned, the cheap $150 headsets I purchased 18 years ago worked better.

My Recommendation DO not WAIST your money on a set of Lightspeed PFX headsets, get the Zulu II or Bose if you want Noise cancelation.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I have have probably 10 headsets, and the only ones I like are my no longer
    manufactured Lightspeed QFR Solo's ... Best headset I've ever had, can wear
    them all day with no problems, they don't have ANR, but are pretty much as
    quiet as a set of ANR's.

Wish they still made them ... Cheap, and very good.

Jeff

I am in the music field and my ears are my $$$$. After trying several brands I only use Bose, love them

I can endorse the Lightspeed Zulu II's as a solid ANR headset choice. They have good battery life, good noise cancelling performance and convenient Bluetooth connectivity so I can listen to music and get traffic alerts from my iPad while in the air.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Had to bump this thread as I watched our Aussie friend, rosslr, start up and taxi his SS7 down the strip in Mt Beauty, OZ.

Ross, could you give us some feedback on that new LS Bluetooth headset you're using?
    Last edited by Pilot4Life; 02-08-2016 at 10:09 AM.
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

G'day Chris,
    Yes, using the Zulu 2's. They are the most comfortable headsets I have used - dont even know they are on after a couple of hours flying. We got the optional Lemo plug also and wired them into the back of the standard plugs and mounted the plug connection up near the forward spar - see photo. that way we can run the chord along the top and down behind our heads which results in no chords in the cockpit. I wired standard 2 hole plugs into the panel in case we need to use some DC's one day. Wiring them this way also alleviates the need for batteries for the NC. They are very good headsets - took a bit of matching to the MGL V6 - the V6 has a lot settings and it takes a little doing to get them right. for example, the V6 has built in noise cancelling also so you need turn that OFF and let the Zulu's do the noise cancelling. We have 80 hours on the plane now and they are functioning really well. We are only now about to use the bluetooth functions so cant comment on that at this stage.

In summary, expensive but very good functionality and comfort.

Hope this helps Chris.

cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)