Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: painting butt ribs

Default painting butt ribs

So i varnished my butt ribs. I'm painting with poly-tone. Do i need to do the two fisted gun trick now? I mean, spray with primer and then immediatly with poly- tone; or just poly over varnish? Ken

Default Re: painting butt ribs

Ken,

There are two things to consider - will it stick; and, will it hide the base color (wood)

will it stick - no problem - Just scotchbrite or use fine sandpaper to give the varnish a little tooth - then you are ready to go with the poly tone..... UNLESS - see unless below.

The primer and varnish are both epoxy products.....equally good basecoats for the polytone - As far as sticking is concerned - either is equal provided some sanding/roughing is done.

Unless - If your poly tone top coat is not white - The only thing I would be concerned about is if you are using a poly tone color that will not hide well for the top coat .....white covers well - yellows don't and it is possible to get a different looking finish due to the polytone not blocking the light reflection / absorption from the base where the base is darker than the surrounding parts. This has to do with the nature of the colors - white reflects back most of the light - yellows only reflect yellow leaving the remainder of the incident light to bounce back off whatever color is underneath (wood in this case) sometimes giving a different appearance - if your base is different from the surrounding and you are not using white for a top coat - might be OK to shoot a coat of white primer or white polytone over the varnish so you don't have to apply 30 coats of polytone to hide the background.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear