Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Door window pop rivet size?

Default Re: Door window pop rivet size?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the rivets is it complicates things on window replacement time - I keep thinking there is no way to avoid having little bits of rivets rattling around inside the door frame if they have to be drilled out...on the plus side...they do hold everything together just fine without any ends sticking out.
    Dave S
    I agree with this. I have always used rivets and will again when the occasion arises. I do, however shop for aluminum rivets with aluminum mandrels for ease of drilling them out if necessary. On my first Model IV, I drilled a 3/16" hole on the bottom of the door frame about two inches forward of the bottom aft bend. The purpose was to shake out the rivet fragments when I replaced the plastic.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

On my first Model IV, I drilled a 3/16" hole on the bottom of the door frame about two inches forward of the bottom aft bend. The purpose was to shake out the rivet fragments when I replaced the plastic.
    I confess to doing this also as I've replaced my original door "glass". Hated the sound and the idea of those little rivet bits riding along for free.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I did the same thing, drilling a couple holes in my door frame to get out all of the rivets. I don't feel it is necessary to use screws for the window as it will not be changed very often.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

It's not about the need to change the window, it's about fastening tension.

With screws and a window you control the clamping force.

With rivets, you hope for the best and pray for no cracks.

Use screws.

Regards,
    Jeff

I used the little thin nylon washers under the rivets & drilled the holes slightly over size & have had no problems. Dutch