Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: fire wall size

Default fire wall size

So I moved to an airpark thinking that I would get a lot of help building my series 6. Boy was I wrong. Every Saturday morning several of the old farts (I'm 61 so visualize Their ages} get together at the "FBO" for coffee and one of them almost always asks me when I'm going to get my bird in the air. My response is always "when you get off of your lazy behind and give me a hand". This usually brings a moment of silence from everyone. Then sometimes I will throw out "if anyone would be willing to help I can really use it". More silence. So I go to the TeamKitfox Forums.

This time I need to know how tall and wide to make my fire wall. What is the dimension of the height and where is that measured from?
    Once I have it cut I will take it to a sheet metal shop in town to have the 90 degree bend and shrink put on the top edge for the cowl.

I've had too many life threatening close calls recently, crashed an ultralight, fell off of a loading dock and landed flat on my back, lights out for a while, had the front wheel lock up on my motorcycle at 70 mph on the freeway, (thank you to the two guys that stopped their cars sideways in the two lanes that I was taking up so I didn't get squished by the 18 wheelers)...... yes there is more but listing it here would sound like bragging.

And even if I don't get to fly it I want to have it ready for my daughter to have a completed plane she can call her own.
    I've had my kit for 14 years and it's time to get it in the air.

I do appreciate the members here that willingly and without expectations of compensation offer advice and knowledge to anyone that asks.

Thank you all.

Steve

Default Re: fire wall size

Steve, I would think it would be the same process for a model 6 as it is for the 4 which is, temporarily mount the engine, mount the cowling, remove the engine, then cut the firewall to fit inside the cowling.

It seems I remember the bottom half fit pretty well and the top half is what needs to be cut to fit. I made a cardboard pattern of the top half and it took a lot of cutting a little, trying the top cowling, cutting a little more and trying the cowling again,etc.

I know what you mean about the old farts. I'm an old fart too. We have a few that want to just sit around and drink coffee and eat donuts and criticize. There is one in our EAA though that is over eighty. He builds one plane after another and is always asking me what I'm going to build next.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Fabricating one to match the boot cowl will be quite a job. Does Kitfox Aircraft have one that fits?

Thanks t j and mr bill, I think either the continental or Lycoming cowl would work but I am on an extreme budget so cheap is the only way for me. A nice older gentleman that used to live on the next taxi way over from me had a hanger sale when he moved into town (because of his wife's health) and gave me a cowl that just needs an extension made. Also I'm not using a forum friendly engine, I'm using a Subaru ea-81 turbo. I won't win any awards with my plane when it's done but it will be the bush plane I've always wanted.

t j as soon as I read your reply I thought that is such an easy answer no wonder I didn't think of it. I seem to always over complicate stuff.